Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New nano reef need advice

homerparrot

I have just started my first nano reef in a eclipse 5 gal setup. I am using a 12 watt 50/50 cfl, a 50watt heater, the eclipse filtration system(which is a floss and charcoal cartridge, and a biowheel). I added 5 lbs of fiji live rock and a mixture of live sand and crushed coral sand to get about an inch and a half of substrate. I also added a yellow tailed damsel.

Currently my ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is 35ppm. I was told that the bio wheel is working to well and that is why the trates are high. I removed the biow wheel as a test. IS this correct to do? I was also told that it would be wise to remove the charcoal cartidge and just replace it with a piece of foam? Is this so?

What can I do to lower the nitrates? Water change? Is it safe to do a water change or will that just delay the cycle? Or is it far enough along. The tank has been set up for almoast 3 weeks.

Do I need more lighting? I dont want to go extreme with the corals, I probably would be okay with low light corals. After all the tank has less then a square foot of surface area.

What about an anename? Do I have enough light to house one down the road when the tank is more established?

If I get rid of the damsel would it be doable to have a pair of small clowns in this tanks?

I have heard that people use the eclipse tanks, but normally modify them for nanos? What do I need to change on my setup?

Thanks any input helps.

Tony

Pinrod Urkish

it's anemone, the only word I can spell correctly, and i wouldn't get one.

Though you were correct in removing the biowheel, and charcoal filter. and changing the water would delay the cycling process.

I like the family of shrooms that I have. They seem to have as much personality as the fish and come in a wide variety of colors

Get rid of the damsel, the clown ish are more curious and don't runaround the tank like they are on acid.

Never experienced eclipse tanks, so can't help you there

can you explain to me how removing the bio wheel lowers the amount of ammonia in the water. And is the reason to get rid of the charcoal/floss simply to cut replacment costs, or does the foam replacement act as a bio media?

How much lighting will I need for this tank. It is 5 gallons, hexagon shaped 12inches from side to side, so less then a square foot surface.

What do you all think about peppermint shrimp? They look way cool, any positives or negatives about them?

WHat anemone does the percula clown live with in the wild. Dont worry I am not going to get one. Just thinking maybe a ways down the road when I get the whole system down. For now I dont think it is worth the risk.

what level of ammonia will shrimp tollerate?

thanks

Archived