inTank Media Baskets

Bumblebees

Nathan06

I got a couple pieces of liverock yesterday and got a bumblebee snail hitchhiker. Are Bumblebee snails nocturnal? Also what is their purpose in a reef...glass/substate/ect.?

There are porite corals on my liverock but nost of them are bleached out. There are still ha few that are fairly brown! Is there anything I can do to help then rebound? I have a 96W powerquad over the 10 gal tank.

I'm also very excited that I saw a, are they called pods? little lice looking creatures on the liverock, scurry from one hole to another in the liverock this morning when I turned the lights on.

Nathan

IMO the bumblebee snails add some color to a reef but are pretty much useless for algae. Ive never seen them on the glass or substrate, usually wedged under corals or in a crevice for days.

dont know too much about porites, doubt you will get them to color up under PC but you might get some growth if your Ca and Alk levels are good. are there any cool fan worm growing out of them?

I have a couple of bumblebees in my 6g and they are active only at night. On a rare occasions you may see them moving during the day. They are waste eaters and I have seen them on my glass many times. If yours just sits in one spot for days at a time, don't worry, this is normal for them. I like mine, they do help keep the tank clean.

TroyT

Blinkgyrl2987

I could be wrong but I heard that Bumblebees are carnivores... that they need some supplemented food... because like thisanthrope said they don't eat algae! they most likely feed on detritus and other critters that have died.

I could be wrong though.. do a search and find out! HTH Megan

They are pretty cool looking though.... adds something different to the tank!

Hey! Thanks guys and gals. My bumblebee found a resting place as soon as the lights came on and stopped. He's been there ever since lol. I'll show you all some pictures.

Hey Jim,

I'm in Elizabethtown...about 35-40 miles south of you.

Have you been to Sandy's Pet Shop in Louisville? I was thinking about getting some liverock there but DSparks told me it was $7X)

DSparks just got his liverock too so once we get our tanks setup we are going to trade frags and such. He comes through Etown every two weeks or so. Maybe we could trade frags to.

Nathan

By life do you mean no pods?! Near night time turn the lights off a couple hours early then turn them back on b4 u go to bed and watch the tank when you do. You should see ALL kinds of critters.

Try it.

Nathan

PS I'd like to know where that is located too.

It might take some time for them to come out....or they are really small andyour not seeing them....or ur just not seeing them.

But if you did get bad LR then once my pod population grows I'll siphon some out and give them to you on your way abck to Louisville sometime:)

Well, the verdict is in. I'm an idiot. You're right Nathan. All those little specks that I've been trying to filter are pods, lol.

I'm feeling much better. They are all over the place. I was trying to figure out why they weren't getting filtered.

sorry to interrupt the pod discussion, but I just realized that bumblebee snails are good for something else. If a bunch are in one spot you know something died.

(stupid Nass snail fell off the glass....)

Archived