Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sammy33's 12g AquaPod for Nano Reef Withdrawals

sammy33

myjohnson - I have not tried the 20k PAR38 lamps. I have seen some pics of other hobbyists tanks with the 20k version and they do look nice!

Nem Triple Split Update

It looks like two of the anemones are doing fairly well and one is looking kinda sad. The split into the three is not typical and I am still thinking this was a stress reaction. The monti frag took quite a beating as the anemone was basically sitting on it for a day or so. I believe this scratched or cut the anemone and triggered it to split in sort of a survival response. You can see two of the clones are doing well and seeking the light while a third in the back is somewhat deflated and also discolored with a grayish appearance.

12g-fts-12-15-10.jpg

Here is a view from the side showing the clone that is looking rough. This one may recover? I know that each portion of the split needs to retain a piece of oral/digestive section and also some of the pedal disc (foot) to be a successful clone. I think this one is missing the oral/digestive portion or may have simply taken the brunt of the injury from sitting on the monti frag. :huh:

12g-rbta-looking-sad.jpg

RBTA's Moved

I moved the nems back to my frag tank for now. After the split having three nems in this nano was just too much. The largest one had moved close to the neon toadstool and it was likely stinging/irritating it.

I tried for some time this evening to remove one from the rock but did not have very much success. I tried to use ice to make it let go but it was simply just stressing the nem. I decided to move the entire piece of live rock as all three nems were attached. They are now back where the one started from and seem to be happy as I placed them much closer to the light.

I can now proceed with moving some of the other corals I had planned on keeping in this nano. I am also looking at adding to my lighting system and setting up my ATO. Nano reefing is fun! B)

New pics

The tank is looking a bit different without the RBTA and the larger piece of live rock. I like the huge sand space in the front of the tank and the asymmetrical form the rock structure has now. The Fiji Yellow Leather I added is actually a frag from my other tank.

12g-fts-12-28-10.jpg

The Neon Green Toadstool seems to be doing well and is gaining some nicer coloration in my nano. This coral was stuffed away in my fuge/frag tank under PC lighting and was not doing nearly as well as it is this system. I think it likes the LED lighting. B)

12g-neon-toadstool-12-10.jpg

LED's and Algae

I have noticed much less algae growth with my LED lights vs. other lighting systems I have had in the past. I am cleaning the glass in my nano, on average, about once a week where my other tank with T5 lighting requires cleaning every few days. The algae also has an obvious growth line where the light starts to hit the glass in the tank. I let the algae go for a few extra days so I could get a pic of the growth on the glass. Here is one of my snails doing his job. B)

12g-algae-eater.jpg

Archived