inTank Media Baskets

Switching over to RO...

Kev

After several corals dieing in my tank, it hit me that something was wrong with my water:|. At first, I couldn't figure it out what was wrong. I mean my tank has been going since 12/27/01, and heres my params... Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Phosphates 0, Calcium 500, and I add a variety of Kent products(Essential Elements, MicroVert, and Coral Accel.) With readings like, that I came to the conclusion that it must be my tap water ive been using all along for top offs and water changes. Question is, if I start using RO water for my top offs and water changes, how long would you guys wait to add another coral? a month or two? :)

As soon as I got my lights for my tank, I put in a flowerpot. I now know that those are one of the "harder" corals to take care of after reading alot(which I should have done beforehand.) And after that one died I figured that it died just because theyr hard to take care of. So I then put in a small piece of mushroom rock, and a small colony of xenia. The Mushroom never even opened up in my tank, and the xenia did OK for about a week before dieing.

Anthony Deel

I would think that if its something in your tap water it should clear up after two or three 20 percent water changes with the ro water it might be wortwhile to test for copper contamination.

RODI is a smart move. also when the kent is empty, get rid of it. the Kent products are inferrior in quality. Try Seachem or more natural supplements. ALso a good brand of salt too.

• 5 weeks later...

my tank almost went to crap cause of the same reason, and ever since i switched to RO my life has been easier and my corals would blow kisses to me if they could. i lost a 10 inch colt to my stupidity thinking it was just a phase.

Archived