SaltCritters.com

Frogspawn embolizim? potental sickness or irregular inflation?

Dave ESPI

ok Im hanging up my reef wizard hat on this one.......

I have this frogspawn coral. it has been with me for 4 + years and has lived through some amazing rough happenings. The heads have been growing well and recently seperated. The problem is this:

3 months ago I had a 6 line wrasse die unexpectadly in my 37 and caused an ammonia issue ( which also took Darth, (my betta) and a 6 year old Caribian gold coral banded shrimp to their graves.) I was worried I was going to loose more, but the other fish and corals made it ok after some quick work on my part to salvage the water quality.

Now here is the issue. This frogspawn has what appears to be a massive bubble or blister in the center of it that inflates. This is not normal. any ideas before I post this in Bornemans "expert"

coral section on RC?

Boreman was no help.

The coral has had PLENTY of waterchanges hehehhe. Im just hoping its a seperation thing..... time will tell..

Hey Dave,

I have no idea what the bubble is, but I just thought I would mention that I got a small Frogspawn frag a couple of days ago, and the mother colony also had a similar bubble on it. Here is a photo I took of the mother colony, and you can see the bubble.

072702mothercolony.jpg

Next time I see the owner, I will ask about it. I didn't think to ask about it this time around. Also I thought I should note that I saw the mother colony of Frogspawn last week, and I do not recall the bubble bting there.

Gil

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE....

The Blister has popped. Either from powerhead aggitation, or on its own. THERE ARE @ DISTINCT HEADS AND ORAL OPENINGS NOW. I believe now that it is indeed a morph phase of this Euphyllia species when seperating heads

If Borneman didn't help, try Calfo (auth, Book of Coral Propagation). This might be more up his alley.

Okay, okay, too late for this round, but ping Anthony on it anyway -- I'm sure he'd be interested!

Archived