Pod Your Reef

odd tank, confusing pc lighting

Hinecken

Hey all, long time reader, first time poster......

Ok, I just picked up a tank that I thought was really interesting. It is a 30gal breeder. I know this is bigger than the "acceptable" nano size, but I'm posting here because you folks are much more qualified to answer my question than the people with big, deep reef tanks. The reason I liked the tank so much is because it is long and wide, but shallow at the same time 36L x 18.5w x 13h. Now, my question is this, what wattage and length pc's should I be using? My theory is, the tank is much shallower than a 29 or a 30, therefore, less wattage is needed to get the correct spectrum to the bottom of the tank. I was thinking two 24" 55watt pc's. I'm thinking 24" because I do not plan on having the reef extend to both ends of the tank, there will be a small 6-8 inch or so open area on one end of the tank. Any input would be wonderfully appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

P.S. any Nanoreefers in the south Florida area?

Christopher Marks

Using just 55w 24" PC's is a great idea. Your thoughts on it are right on the mark. On my 46 gallon tank (36" long) I only use 24" bulbs, and it lights the tank just fine.

Out of curiosity, how long has your tank been up and running? And what kind of corals do you have in it? Thanks a bunch.

why not go with a halide system? you could make a sweet shallow reef crest tank. or lagoonal set up..... just food fer thought. I have long term been an advocate of shallow and wide tanks. I HATE 55 gal tanks........ so I get 33 and 40 Longs, 20 Longs and custom chopped tanks all the time. They run awesome, and the options of what U can keep is unlimited as long as it doesnt stick up over the lowest water level when U do a w/c.;)

edit: yes your lights will work fine. My halides dont suck a lot of energy. surprizingly less than my Track lighing in the living room.... heheh

The problem I have with halides is the amount of electricity they use. I live in south Florida, so my a/c runs 24/7/365. Also, I'm only 22 years old and have quite the hefty mortgage to pay. I have to make due with pc lighting. It's really the only way I can afford to run a reef of any kind. So back to my original question, does anyone else have any input?

Christopher Marks

Well, you couldn't really compare my 46 gallon tank to yours, simply because it's much taller, and uses VHO lights. I have no doubt that using 2 or 3 55w powercompacts will nicely light the tank.

I'd just go with a 96 watt. That way you'll only be paying for one ballast, bulb, etc, and can add another one if you decide you want the higher light stuff.

Kapelakin: you yourself use two 55watt on your 20L, I'm curious as why you would suggest I use a single 96 on my 30L? I'm not being sarcastic here, I would really like to know.

because a 96W bulb is 29" long..and if you think you will not cover enough with a 24" 55W go with a 96W..and i do believe its 29"///

NanoReefer53

it's a 30g breeder so the tank is 36" long compared to the standard 30g. A 96watt will do nice for all them sofites :)

I've got a planted 30g breeder tank, with a 2x30w NO fixture. The 30w NO bulbs are the full length of the tank. I really like the way the long bulbs light up the whole tank. If I was going to do a reef in this tank, I'd go with a ballast capable of 2x96w CF. That way you can use one 10kK bulb and one actinic bulb, rather than the 50/50s.

The other option would be a pair of 2x55w ballasts -- again, one pair for 10kK, one pair for actinics. You could overlap the center sections of the bulbs, giving you a lot more light in the center third of the tank.

In either case, if you get a ballast capable of firing 2 bulbs, you could start with one 50/50 and upgrade to the one 10kK and one actinic later when $$ permit.

Archived