Innovative Marine Aquariums

Anyone using the Balling method ?

PIPS

I came across the Balling method that is quite popular in Europe as another form of dosing and apparently I’ve read that it’s catching on here in the states.

Anyone using it want to give me their opinions on it and how superior it is vs. 2 part dosing ??

I did for a while. I didn't see any appreciable difference in parameters and stability from when I was using 2 part and DD Oceanic salt. In a Nano tank it doesn't make sense in my mind to spend the money on the salts when bulk reef supply can accomplish the same thing for allot less.

The balling method is basically a 3 part dosing scheme (calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium/trace elements), with each part added using peristaltic dosing pumps. "Two-part dosing" only means two parts (calcium/alkalinity) are used, which may or may not mean automated dosing. So, it is basically a more complicated form of dosing.

I have a 3 chamber reefdoser and I add mag in my topoff about once a month or so, don't know if this is the ballin method or not, why would you constantly dose mag? Just doesn't seem to be worth it to me. I personally think alot of people think they HAVE to dose, most tanks do well on WC alone.

It's not just mag but other trace elements as well. Just seems like a more extended form of dosing, nothing increased water changes can't makeup for though.

Cost of dosing pumps alone prob won't make it worth it for nanos.

The balling method is basically a 3 part dosing scheme (calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium/trace elements), with each part added using peristaltic dosing pumps. "Two-part dosing" only means two parts (calcium/alkalinity) are used, which may or may not mean automated dosing. So, it is basically a more complicated form of dosing.

So the balling method is that same as the 2 part method + 1, Magnesium ?? So 3 part ??

Archived