ReefCleaners.org

Slow Growth

jeeves

I love nano-reefing for the simplicity and doing something most reefers would advise against :P

I have been running a fluval edge for about a year. Swapped out the bulbs with LED's for an arrangement of zoos, mushrooms, and polyps. I never buy any frags for more than $15, meaning all my colonies are fairly small.

On these forums, it seems members have great success with their own nano's without ever dosing their tanks. I have found similar success (in that i have a healthy and stable tank) I do weekly water changes, and only feed my fish every 2 days with flake, and corals Kent Chromaplex about twice a week.

The only thing starting to get on my nerves is that my corals just don't seem to be growing at all. No where near the levels that some members claim to have growing in similar sized tanks. Am I missing something? Should I start dosing? There is always more to learn in this hobby - thanks for any help.

J

I love nano-reefing for the simplicity and doing something most reefers would advise against :P

I have been running a fluval edge for about a year. Swapped out the bulbs with LED's for an arrangement of zoos, mushrooms, and polyps. I never buy any frags for more than $15, meaning all my colonies are fairly small.

On these forums, it seems members have great success with their own nano's without ever dosing their tanks. I have found similar success (in that i have a healthy and stable tank) I do weekly water changes, and only feed my fish every 2 days with flake, and corals Kent Chromaplex about twice a week.

The only thing starting to get on my nerves is that my corals just don't seem to be growing at all. No where near the levels that some members claim to have growing in similar sized tanks. Am I missing something? Should I start dosing? There is always more to learn in this hobby - thanks for any help.

J

could be not enough feeding going on in there or your params could be off.. mainly alk.. i experienced the same thing until alk was in check then everything skyrocketed..

could be not enough feeding going on in there or your params could be off.. mainly alk.. i experienced the same thing until alk was in check then everything skyrocketed..

Thanks. I will check for alk.

My parameters have been fairly great, with the occassional nitrate... but i keep it under control with frequent water changes. Alk, however, is something I have not kept up on. I will focus on that.

Archived