Top Shelf Aquatics

what ate my scarlet shrimp??

nessa96

i just started an 18 gallon tank a month ago. i have a pair of clown fish, an anenome. i have a cleaning crew of turbo snails and an emerald crab, so i decided to add a scarlet shrimp. he was fine for an hour, then when i looked for him again, he was torn in half and being held captour by these translucent strings that were coming out of the rock. does anyone know what the heck it is and how to get rid of it???

You started your tank too quickly, first off. Clowns were added way to early, and anemones should be avoided in small tanks. What killed your shrimp.. I'm going to need a more detailed description, but what your describing sounds like sweeper tenticles from an LPS coral, or maybe it was just your anemone. What species is the anemone?

i'm not sure of the species the anemone is, but i'm almost sure it wasn't done by him. it has white tenticles that have a green glow near the base of them. i hate sounding so ignorant...

He's right, you added fish pretty early. What sort of lighting do you have? Sounds like you might have a condy anemone. You do know you have to feed it right? BTW, if it dies you'll probably lose your whole tank. :(

i have the lighting that came with the viaaqua tank, a compack? it has the white and blue light. i have been feeding the anemone frozen shrimp everyother day.

ok, i think i might have a mantis shrimp. i haven't seen it, but now one of my hermits are no longer with us. i'm not sure where it is or how to get it out of there. maybe a pistol vs mantis fight??

What kind of clicking? Single clicks, rapid fire clicks. I think there is a way to distinguish between a pistol and a mantis (the mantis having the rapid fire clicks...I think).

that thread link didn't work. i have been doing alot of searching. i still haven't seen the culprit and am not sure if it is a mantis or pistol. another fatality has occured with another hermit. but none of my hermits are missing nor are there any empty shells. also the clicks seem to be more rapid then i orginally thought...

Sorry, lets try this again. If it still doesnt work, then just do a search using the terms "mantis" and "clicks". Choose the thread entitled "Anyone know is Pistol Shrimps can do multile strikes?" This will give you some information. You also may wish to try a mantis trap. You can buy them from most vendors...worked in my tank. May be interesting to see what you have anyways. Good luck.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...t=mantis+clicks

Why would "translucent strings that were coming out of the rock" indicate a mantis or pistol? That's what was holding your shrimp (RIP, sorry 'bout that), right?

It definitely sounds like a good idea to identify the clicking, and then do something about it so you don't lose too many more hermits, but don't forget about the other problem: the tentacles that held your ripped up shrimp.

Originally posted by MillerLite

"Anyone know is Pistol Shrimps can do multile strikes?"  

Mine does. And so did my mantis. Then again, they can both also do single strikes. Clicking is not a reliable method to tell, IMO.

Another question is.. How thick where the tentacles? If they were long and thread like it sounds more like a form of tube anemone. They are generally scavengers and would not be responsible for your shrimps death. They were jsut cleaning up the mess.

How large was the shrimp?

How large are your clowns?

Larger clowns can get agressive. If they have formed a pair bond and laid claim to your anemone they will force back new arrivals if htey approach and in a tank your size there isn't a lot of room to flee. I have found it best to add new arrivals in the dark when dealing with a pair of clowns. It gives the new guy time to settle in and find a safe spot without being hassled etc. That's not to say that the clowns killed your shrimp, but the possibility is there (even with it being a cleaner shrimp).

Hopefully you don't have a mantis.

the clowns are under two inches each. the shrimp was the same. i've tried a trap with no luck so far. my next attempt is going to be a fresh water dip...

Hey Nessa, what are you planning on fresh water dipping? Have you cornered the shrimp into a rock.? I would be very careful doing this because it may kill much of the beneficial bacteria that is on the rock...especially if it is a large rock that you use for your biological filtration. This could be bad for your tank. If you can spare it, you may wish to just take the rock out and and try to trap it in a different container in tank water. Then you can put the rock back in the tank, no problems.

You're welcome. To get my mantis, I bought a 2 gallon flat tupperware ($3.00) at the container store, put an extra heater and airstone. Then put in the trap. This also will keep out any other shrimp, hermits, even fish that you may have out of the trap. Eventually the shrimp gets hungry and will go into the trap. Then you have him. No hurry in trying to get him out since the rock should survive long enough...

Archived