Innovative Marine Aquariums

prolifera dying

keydiver

my prolifera that i got from envy is showing some mad growth rates, but the leaves, one by one, just turn transparent, and rot away. All my other macros are growing steady. Does this have something to do with flow? I have yet to put a powerhead in there

there will always be some dead leaves...nothing lives foreva :P as long as they are not all going transparent your ok :)

you may need more poop/nutrients, once they catch up to the amount of nutrients (phosphates, nitrates, iron, magnesium etc.) they use in the tank you will see the growth rate slow down. I always overfeed my macro tank flake food, phyto and Reef Plus ;)

IME most caulerpas will have small "sexual" events where foliage goes transparent. Just remove the transparent pieces. My C.prolifera does it all the time. It will balance itself out and be nearly unoticeable once it grows in.

there will always be some dead leaves...nothing lives foreva :P as long as they are not all going transparent your ok :)

you may need more poop/nutrients, once they catch up to the amount of nutrients (phosphates, nitrates, iron, magnesium etc.) they use in the tank you will see the growth rate slow down. I always overfeed my macro tank flake food, phyto and Reef Plus ;)

+1 and if you trim the old growth and leave the new it helps

also green macros sometimes suffer from iron deficiencies so if it happens to fast you think, consider checking into iron supplementation.

Archived