Cultivated Reef

Over stocking

Scoot

I currently have a 6 gallon nano-reef with various mushrooms and fish. In a couple months i am going to set up a 20 gallon reef tank. I will put in mushrooms and maybe some other polyps but i doubt it. If i add a pair of percula clownfish, 1 clown gobie, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 bicolor blenny, and maybe a yellowtail damsel that i have with my 6 gallon. Would all of these fish be compatible and would this be overstocking. Also i plan to have around 20-25 pounds of live rock and 15-20 pounds of live sand. Since my 20 gallon tank is the 20 gallon tall (extra extra high) i dont want a really deep sand bed. also could there be any reef safe inabitants that would fit in my tank and maybe burrow under the sand. Also i will be adding fish slowly, from least territorial and hardiest to most territorial to weakest. I will add them one at a time over a couple months.(i took for granted tha you people knew i was going to add these fish over a period of time)

you could do with that many but i wouldn't recommend it. i also wouldn't recommend them being added quickly. better to add the least aggressive then the meaner ones. it gives the wimp-fish a chance to find hiding spots.

nassarius or cerith snails are good options for burrowers. nass are my pers pref.

I would wait.....you will be overcrowding the tank and cramping everything. Liek tiny said it would be recommended to add fish slowly so I would wait until you get a larger tank. 5 fish in a 20 is a good amount too.....add them slow....I would consider a max of 4 myself. If you really want more than that I'd get something bigger than a 20.

Cameron

Archived