Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

coral problems

ajs349

I currently have a 29g tank that's been running for about 6 months now with about 25 pounds of live rock and 175w MH and two 15w NO lamps. I have a xenia, star polyp, colt, and mushroom coral. About two weeks ago I had a brown algae outbreak. So I added 25 hermits, 25 snails, and some macro which seemed to eat up most of the brown algae but some of my corals never rebounded. My xenia is shriveled and doesn't grow larger than about a quarter of an inch, my star polyp didn't come out for about a week but now its starting to open again slowly. My temp is steady at about 77 and the salinty is about 1.023. Are the corals coming back or slowly dying off?

bump

first thing, i would recommend is removing the macroalgae. it could be giving off alleopathic substances to irritate the corals.

then you may want to do a wc and use some carbon for a while.

keep an eye on the cleaners that they do not injury/annoy the corals and that they're all accounted for. having a lot of cleaners around means a couple may get lost in the crowd and lay decaying in a corner.

you might want to up the temp to 80F (but that's pers pref tho).

there could've been something that came along with the cleaning crew you added (which was quite large imo). try to add livestock in smaller amounts, this may not be cost effective but it is easier on the biofilter.

give the corals some time. star polyps can stay hidden for a month or more and still come out looking fresh (not good tho). xenia are more delicate once pushed too far, other times they grow like weeds. hth

Most folks 'round here keep their nanos at 1.025 SG.

What kind of water change regimen are you doing? Using RO or distilled water?

The solution to pollution is dilution, so when it doubt, do lots of 10-25% water changes.

Archived