Pod Your Reef

Do Retailers Care About Us?

theclearblue

I've read on multiple sites on the web and spoke to several retailers of Live Rock that there will be NO cycle if cured rock and live sand are used when establishing a tank. Everything I've read on these forums has lead me to believe that this is absolutely not true (correct me if I'm wrong).

Do retailers really care about us when they tell the customer that there will be no cycle? I'm always looking for instant gratification and when adding cured rock and live sand I've been tempted to put in a clean up crew the next day (today). But better judgment has convinced me to wait two weeks before I even add one snail or hermit crab in there. Why would retailers mislead us? Do they believe this is the truth?

Reefer_Buddha

there's a saying "who is the fool. The fool who leads or the fool who follows" My advice would be to get the cured rock and just wait. There is no such thing as no cycle at all. Water has to mature and bacteria have to be evident in the sandbed and on the rocks. You will have a significantly REDUCED cycle time but you will have a short ammonia and nitrite spike. LFS's just go by what they are told they only know from other mislead lfs's employess what to say. If i could have it my way id have every lfs employee log onto nano reef and read a few 100 threads then give advice.

Amen, Buddha

There are LFS that sell salt but have no employees that really know anything about it. Then there are others that have a well experienced and well versed staff, but typically higher prices IME.

Shop around and listen to what the other customers are asking and what the answers are. If it sounds like BS, don't hesitate to step in and get involved in the discussion (be SURE you know what you are talking about!) Once you find the right place, continue to shop there and accept the higher prices and support the ppl who know what they are doing.

Once a person has had a bad experience with a new hobby, they will probably get out of it, and the quickest way to fail at something is to listen to bad advice at the outset.

Sure, live rock (cured) will shorten the cycle period, but there will be a significant observable cycle taking place. You can cause a new cycle just by doing an extreme water change!

You have to WAIT it out.

Meanwhile, keep reading Nano-Reef!

Just last thursday I was at the LFS with my friend(>Eclipse 12) and the guy at the counter kept saying that my friend needed a camel shrimp, so I'm like WTF! Needless to say, my friend didn't get that camel shrimp. But still, he didn't know crap! Also, a while back, I came in to get a hydrometer and the manager asked me what size tank I was going to have. I said a two gallon, then he got all angry and spent 15mins giving me a list of reasons why keeping a reef smaller than 10gal is impossible.zzz

It seems pretty agreed that the LFS is the worst place to seek advice, but I meant more places that are known to be reputable. I read somewhere on RC or here that someone from Harbor Aquatics told someone that they could put in a cleanup crew right after they had put in the sand and rock! You'd think that such a place would either know better, or maybe they know something we don't???

Archived