ReefCleaners.org

MaxCap Restrictor Cut Length Help Request

Genj

Hey all, I just got my MaxCap today and so far everything is going alright. I'm at the stage where I need to trim the capillary tube. My measured rates at 65 psi are:

700 ml/min concentrate

205 ml/min product

The stock tube is 9.75 inches long.

The chart shows that I need to cut the tube to around 3.75 inches long.

Can someone confirm that I'm figuring this correctly? Like cooking a steak, I can take away from the capillary but I can't add back.

Thanks!

Thanks again. You are the man!

The MaxCap is a Spectrapure RO/DI unit that was/is on sale for $249. It has 2 pre-filters, 1 RO membrane, 1 DI unit, and a final 'silica-buster'.

Well, I performed the cut, fixed my minor leak coming from the carbon block to the RO unit and am filling a 5 gallon bucket now! It's a nice system and looks great hanging on the wall in the garage.

now I've got to figure out some way to route the concentration to my trees in my yard in order to provide a drip to them for extra water supply during the summer months.

think I can bury the 1/4 tubing without issue AZ, or use something else? I would use a valve to disconnect the drip in the temps below 40 degrees.

BTW, my left TDS probe is reading 001 ppm on the out setting. Which seems almost unreal to me that the prefilter and carbon block can take 085 down to 001. UPDATE: I misspoke. The OUT setting on the left TDS is what is coming out of the RO. So I'm in good shape!

I am cautious about running my waste outside to landscape, for one you have a potential cross connection or point of contamination if you lost water pressure, it is theoretically possible to suck water back in. Thats why the Uniform Plumbing Code requires RO membranes waste lines to have an air gap between them and the plumbing, usually its in the drinking water faucet or it could be like a dishwasher air gap device on the back of a sink. Often we hook them up to the P trap on the sink side, not the sewer side but that does not meet UPC codes.

The easiest form is to leave the end of the waste line elevated above whatever container or tree well or whatever it is dripping into for a air gap. Maybe run the waste into a 55 gallon poly barrel with an air gap then run a drip line from the barrel so they are seperated.

Another thing you will run into and maybe you should have mentioned this before cutting the flow restrictor is extra length or elevation changes on the waste line affects the waste ratio as you are adding restriction or head loss so slowing the waste flow down. Your restrictor will probably be wrong now once you extend the line.

Check the TDS probes are inserted all the way and rotated in the correct orientation. If it still reads low try swapping the IN and OUT probes to see if they agree.

Inlline meters have limitations but they are a good indicator. For one they are not temperature compensated and actually sense air temperature and not water temperature which are rarely the same. If the air and water temp vary by much the meter can be significantly off since it has no idea whet the water temp is. I have two of the dual inlines but I only use them like a litmus paper test, a rough guide, and pull out my handheld COM-100 when I want accuracy. I spent a few $$ and installed a tee and ball valve next to each probe so I can draw samples and test with my handheld but I'm a little anal about water quality.

Alright, then I won't modify the line length, and I'll probably setup a large container next to the unit to collect the concentration. I'll hook up the drip lines to that container with a shutoff valve and a blowout for weatherization in winter.

I'll also check the TDS probes tonight. UPDATE: I misspoke. The OUT setting on the left TDS is what is coming out of the RO. So I'm in good shape!

Thanks!

Archived