ReefCleaners.org

First corals

jbannick18

Well took my water to the LFS and they used a differest test kit for my nitrates then the API i have and they came up with 0 readings for my nitrates, I was getting about 10ppm with my kit. So I decided to add a couple coral frags. I did a zoa, and honestly I don't know the other's name ><, it was a $10 frag though.

As far as the zoa, is the placement in the tank to high? They were opening before the hermits knocked the frag off the rock and found this spot to be better. They are starting to open up again already. Thanks

IMAG0135.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

Also, with the new lighting I've found a few things I couldn't see with the halogens. I looked at a worm reference guide but couldn't recognize what it is. But it has a puple body with a bunch of yellowish hairs out the back. I removed one but found another. Have to take out 1/2 gallon of water everytime I want to go into the edge and have already done it twice today so don't want to disrupt the tank again. Anyone know if this specimen is harmless?

I would watch your nitrates and start doing more frequent water changes. Having a pair of clowns in a fluval edge would be considered overstocked/ too small for them.

Doing water changes twice a week now, about 1 1/2- 2 gallons, and feeding a lot less then I was. Heres the best picture I could get of the specimen. You will see it just to the right of the zoas

IMAG0144copy.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

They've opened up today. I still need to find a better place to put them, some of the polyps are not opening b/c they are resting on the rock.

I think that pest is actually a nudi. I am going to be looking for it again tonight and will remove it, hopefully there were no eggs on it. I should of done an iodine dip before I put them in there.

I'm actually picking up a couple more corals later tonight, small frags of GSP, 2 headed candy cane, hammer from a local person. Couldn't resist for $25.00.

I am officially looking to upgrade to a tank that is more accessible, probably a 15 gallon. Putting those frags and working around in that small hole almost made it impossible to place my new frags. Hopefully the gsp will warm up quick to the tank. Pictures to follow once they do.

Also, would my t5 set up work over a 15 gallon tank?

Heres my frogspawn frag.

My main concern is that he is placed under the koralia and might be getting to much current. Seems to be getting pushed down a little bit. I thought about moving him to the other side of the tank where its not as strong and putting the GSP frag under the powerhead b/c of how much they love current. Thoughts?

IMAG0160.jpg

They were opening before the hermits knocked the frag off the rock and found this spot to be better.

Ive grown to not like crabs very much :( They can be annoying.

A tip I got for new coral placement is to start them lower in the tank and work them up but I agree the Zoas look great.

If the Torch/Froggy is getting blowed around like hes in a hurricane then yea Id move him but he looks pretty good right there ;)

Came home and it looked as if the heads in the center were depressing so I went ahead and moved him to the far side of the tank and re arranged some more. I've been in this tank enough past couple of days ><

Also added a red led strip to the light fixture so I can actually see the tank when Im up later in the night.

IMAG0162.jpg

I'm still undecided about either going a standard 15 gallon or 20 gallon long. Would the current t5's work for the 15 if it was hung over the aquarium? Or would it seriously cripple my selection as far as corals go. Also is it possible to do a 20 gallon long without doing sumps, overflows etc. I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can which is the reason I am not venturing into the larger aquariums now. I know on a 15 I could do a filter with a couple power heads, but not sure with the 20L.

Also I am moving in 5 months, would it be too stressful on the fish/coral etc to move to the bigger tank, then again to the new place? New place is only 5 minutes away though.

Thanks for the input, this hobby is addicting ><

Changed my plans again ><. Going to just go ahead and move my stuff to a 10 gallon this weekend and build a stand for it. I was going to do a 20 long for the bedroom but it would of cost around $350 in new equipment more lr etc etc. I'd rather save that now and start saving up for the 57 gallon I want to do next year or maybe a 40g breeder. The 10 gallon willl just be my bedroom tank :).

Also, if anyone is thinking of getting the Edge who doesn't have small arms, I'd advise against it. It is very irritating actually trying to move stuff around in there.

IMAG0180.jpg

Here's the stand almost complete. Need to build a door for the bottom and put a shelf there as well. For my first attempt it didn't turn out to bad :), everything is sitting nice and level. Hopefully I can pick up another 10 lbs of liverock for a local and get the new tank running this weekend.

If I buy the liverock from an established tank should I worry about the tank cycling? Or just play it safe and give it a week or so.

Archived