Pod Your Reef

Very Hot Ballast

speed_freak03

speed_freak03

Hello all, I just retro fitted 2 13watt 50/50 power compacts into my AGA minibow 7 hood. It fits good, but the only problem is the ballast get extremely hot. The bulbs are also getting hot too(not nearly as hot as the ballast though) The tank is not getting warm from it(which is good) but the ballast you cant even put your finger on for a second. Any ideas or tips, or is it just regular magnetic ballast run very hot? Thanks

Heres a pic:

6608IM000560-med.JPG

Reefer_Buddha

if its magnetic then thats just how they are. Thats one of the reasons most people move to electric ballasts. I wouldnt use a magnetic if it were my setup simply for that fact.

speed_freak03

Yah, it doesnt help that I have both of them right next to each other too:( . Ill redesign it tonite, after the tank has had enough light. What about the bulbs though, there quite warm, Is that how there supposed to be? Thanks

speed_freak03

I know, but I did this all for $26 including price of bulbs. So I am happy with it.

Im thinking about making a box for the ballast to put on the floor, so there not up in the hood. Ill figure something out.

speed_freak03

It was just getting to hot, I'm just going to run bulb for now, and think of some more ideas or how to get both bulbs to run, with out as much heat.

Archived