Top Shelf Aquatics

New Beginners Forum

rchall

Could a Nano reef cycle in 4 days? On Saturday I set up a 12g nano with 20lbs. (2-3 inch bed) of live sand and 11 lbs. of live rock. I'm accustom to waiting for fish only tangs to cycle, and didn't even test the Nano reef tank until Wed. with the following results:

Amonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 2.5

Ca - 450

Ph 8.2

Temp 76

Did the tank cycle that quickly, or has it just yet to begin?

i have a 20h and i missed the cycle after 4 days, but i did use sand from an estiblished tank and estiblished rock and some tank h2o. but i still played it safe and waited 3 weeks. there was no spikes that i measured. i would still wait about 2 weeks to put anything major in.

My 12 gallon nano cycled in exactly 1 week with cured LR, dead sand and freshly made water (IO).

My 37 gal cycled in exactly 1 week with cured LR, 40lb Arag-Alive bagged live sand, fresh batch of water.

I'd say it's not only possible, it's probable.

this is good news as I am following my nitrate spike for a algebra 2 class and it is almost done as it spiked at around 20 ppm and is now back down to 10 after 3 days

It's possible that it cycled. Was the live rock and sand cycled or from an established tank? If so it's possible. Whatever you do make sure your water is stable for at least a week before you get too confident.

Cameron

All my stuff is from an established tank 4 year old live rock+ short drive home= Cha Ching$ and one cup of established sand and 10 pounds crushed coral that had already cycled.

Cured means that any potential die off from being removed from an ocean and shipped for a week has died, decomposed, and bacteria has started to repopulate the rock....aka it begins to regenerate from being out of water. Cured is the end result of cycling but since you got cured rock your cycle may be minimal if any at all.

Cameron

My nano cube cycled just as kweckstrom described. I still waited 3 weeks before adding snails and shrimp, and 4 weeks before adding fish. Even when the parameters are OK, it's a good idea to give it another couple of weeks to make sure it's stable, IMO.

Archived