ReefCleaners.org

Magnesium vs. Bryopsis

kjbreefer

I am currently doing battle with the dreaded Bryopsis. I read somewhere that using Kent Tech M to raise magnesium levels could help kill off Bryopsis. Anyone done this or heard of this?

Keep seeing more and more saying Kent Tech M is the only way to go. Going to give it a try. Getting a test kit too to try to get the levels to around 1600-1700 ppm. Will also be replacing my ChemiPure Elite and Phosban today. Wish me luck.

Got a salifert magnesium test kit and it only reads up to 1500 ppm. I tested my level and it was about 1200 ppm. Directions are confusing...

Directions say to "add 1 mL per gallon of aquarium capacity each day to bring mag. levels to 1250-1350 ppm. (20mL per day=4 cap fulls) This will raise mag. by 18.3 ppm per day." so according to that I need to add 24 cap fulls per day to reach 1600-1700 ppm? doesn't seem right.

I believe the cap measures about 5 mL. so my math would say that ...

Stocked Nano Cube 28 = approx. 20-22 gallons capacity

4 cap fulls per day to reach 1250-1350 ?

Just very confused how much to add. Dont want to over dose.

How much of the Kent Tech M should I dose daily to get my levels to 1600-1700

Checked reef chemistry calculator says it will require 16 oz. (full bottle) to raise Mg from 1200 to 1600 ppm. Seems like ALOT! Is this correct? Does that need to be added over a weeks time or what?

thanks, Been there, done that.

I guess im finding out on my own...

quote from "http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php"

"All magnesium supplements are fairly dilute with respect to magnesium itself, and it often takes surprisingly large amounts of additives to boost magnesium in reef aquaria. For a large aquarium (100 gallons) requiring a substantial boost in magnesium (200 ppm), the amount of supplement may seem incredible (taking, for example, two liters of typical liquid commercial magnesium supplements)."

Yep,

Use Kent Tech-M and raise Magnesium to 1600 ppm.

07.03.2009- Bryopsis was much worse before taking this picture, but I scraped as much off as I could. You can still see a lot on the glass on the sides.

34h8121.jpg

07.10.2009 - All Bryopsis gone

2i25ad.jpg

you can also use the bulk reef supply 2 part magnesium. for 30 bucks you can make a little over two gallons of magnesium solution. in my old 90g(with a 50g sump) 1 cup would raise the mag by 100ppm. a lot more than the tech m and a lot cheaper as well. hope that helps out in the future.

I am currently doing battle with the dreaded Bryopsis. I read somewhere that using Kent Tech M to raise magnesium levels could help kill off Bryopsis. Anyone done this or heard of this?

I've done it, it works great. Get the salifert test and use a cheap pipette or something to measure your Kent Tech-M.

you can also use the bulk reef supply 2 part magnesium. for 30 bucks you can make a little over two gallons of magnesium solution. in my old 90g(with a 50g sump) 1 cup would raise the mag by 100ppm. a lot more than the tech m and a lot cheaper as well. hope that helps out in the future.

I have used the Kent Tech M before and it worked great. But has anybody else had any luck with the BRS mag? I haven't heard about this before

• 2 weeks later...

So Im about 2 weeks in after dosing with Kent Tech M. Added an entire 16 oz. bottle over the course of a week and have since been seeing good results with the death of the Bryopsis. It does work! Unfortunately it also killed my Colt coral and my GSP are pissed. So some casualties but everything else looks good if not better.

Archived