ReefCleaners.org

what are the tricks to growing red gracilaria

blondek727

as the topic states what are the tricks or is it just impossible i just got a pound of the stuff today and i want to farm it for my tang and snails iv tried it ones before but didnt have much success hopefully ill have more this time! my question is does anyone else grow it and have good results and what are the tricks, what kinda lighting, tank setup, additives its time to give it up!!!!!

as the topic states what are the tricks or is it just impossible i just got a pound of the stuff today and i want to farm it for my tang and snails iv tried it ones before but didnt have much success hopefully ill have more this time! my question is does anyone else grow it and have good results and what are the tricks, what kinda lighting, tank setup, additives its time to give it up!!!!!

not sure but i've seen people on n-r keep that macro successfully before. first thing though is that the macro will not be able to keep up with the demands of the tang. keep it in a fuge or separate display. i've had tangs out eat the growth of caulerpa before.

:o

well thanks for all the reply its really frustrating that no one knows anything about this stuff i guess ill just have to experiment myself and see what happens

I found this on another SW site....does that sound good?

This is from wetwebmedia

"Growing Gracilaria

1. A separate tank - One with high nutrient levels. A tank dedicated to feeding just the Algae... but high Nutrient Levels a must. I add a silverside or formula 1 once a week.. but being careful to not overfeed the tank; over feeding may allow growth of diatoms and other competing micro

algaes.

2. Trace Minerals - I dose about 7-8 drops of both Chelated Iron and Magnesium daily and perform a small monthly water change to replenish calcium levels and other trace elements.

3. Cold water - best growth for Gracilaria in between 60 F - 70' F.

4. Strong Water Movement - I have a 800 GPH pump in the sump and it's return to the hex tank at a 12 " vertical spray bar which pushes & tumbles the Gracilaria around the tank in a circular motion (like a washing machine). At no time is any of the seaweed just sitting.... it's always tumbling.

5. Strong Lighting - I have a 125 Watt Fluorescent Blue Actinic bulb hanging directly above the water column. Gracilaria grows in deeper waters and does better with Actinic Lighting.

<again variable here... the commercial culture of Gracilaria ("Ogo" of food fame) is done so at the surface of the water. But the genus is adaptable and wide-ranging. I would suggest more/brighter daylight here to most aquarists> "

• 3 weeks later...
Cloudburst2000

I have red gracilaria in all my nanos. I've never had any trouble growing it. My 25gallon has it under MH lights, and my other two tanks have the algae under cfls/actinics. Since red gracilaria is a nice-looking macro, I actually use it in my DTs to help out the chaeto in my sumps. It does the same thing...remove nutrients from the water. I just trim it back occassionally. IME, red gracilaria is fairly easy to grow. If you do want it, just make sure that your CUC doesn't eat it all.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine was doing great for awhile. It went from baseball to soccer ball sized in a 10 in about 2-3 months. I had it in the direct path of a koralia nano (400 some odd gph) and being blasted by 117W of CFL's. Then I redid the flow and it started dieing so I suggest strong flow mainly.

• 4 weeks later...

I didnt think it would be that hard to grow it since reef nutrition sells it in a bottle that is refrigerated with no lights and has a shelf life of a few months.

I grew the green kind, which has similar requirements. Water temperature, especially cold ones, seemed irrelevant for the most part, since mine thrived at anything from the low 70s to mid 80s. The lighting I have is strong, with a 250w 10K metal halide lamp. Even that isn't necessary. The thing I would agree that seems important all around for Gracilaria is good water motion. Having relatively clean water in terms of particulates helps, too, since it tends to adhere to the fronds and cause algae to grow (which traps more and causes more algae to grow, etc.).

Archived