ReefCleaners.org

New 10 gal - opinions please

theclearblue

I just put in the live rock I ordered from Palmetto Reefs today. I'd like any opinions/constructive criticism you can offer.

Here's my 10 gallon with a large piece that I'm not sure I need. I'm trying to decide whether or not to ditch it, as I can't scape the rocks well with it in there. Without it there, there will be some nice ledges for frags.

56kers BEWARE

(sorry, I couldn't resize the pics)

http://fcweb.furman.edu/~ian.crabtree/02DF...114%20copy2.jpg

Here's it without the larger center piece.

http://fcweb.furman.edu/~ian.crabtree/02DF...galnocenter.jpg

Any opinions on whether or not I should keep this rock or on how to make my heater and powerhead less obtrustive would be welcome.

Put the extra rock flat instead of standing it up like in the first picture. Also put the heater horizontal behind the rocks. Careful when you stack the rocks on it. If you want it vertical, then move it to the side of the tank. It's less notice there. For the power head, pull it up closer to the surface. Make the top of the powerhead touches the water surface. That way, when you stand in front of the tank and look down on the tank, the power head is less visible.

Cyber

How many lbs of live rock did you get? Is it better than the LFS?

Like Cyber says, the rock would probably look better laying flat. What do you think about rearranging the rock a bit more? It seems that the right side has more rock than the left and a couple more choice pieces could be moved to the left side.

Thanks for the input. The live rock from Palmetto is infinitely better than anything at the LFS. I ended up buying 14 lbs of rock and a pound of live sand to mix in with my arag-alive.

I'm letting the heater cool off before I take it out, to move the rocks and then I'll see if I can come up with something better. Aquascaping is so much more difficult than I had imagined!

Alright, here's the new arrangement. I honestly don't think I can do better than this. I've always been atristically challenged.

I'm going to repostition the heater again. You can still see it through the arch. There's also a small branch showpiece on the right in front that you can't see.

DSCN0118-small.JPG

I just asked them to give me a nice mix so that I'd be able to create tiered ledges, caves, etc. I'm not sure the origin of all the rocks.

Yes! I like that.

On another thread, Mattie suggested leaving enough room between glass and rock for a cleaning magnet. Sounds like a very good idea.

So far I've yet to see any kind of rise in ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. Lots of pods though...

Patience, patience, patience... it's killing me!

Finally found a setup that maximizes room I feel while not sacrificing caves. I'm using a temporary lighting fixture (1x65w) until I decide on a new light. Here she is:

fulltanklatest.jpg

I like the new arangement, lots of nice hide outs. One thing I might consider moving is the branch looking rock front and center. It might be nice to have a little semi circle of open sand there to put a brain in or perhaps a nice clam.

C. Jerome

I went online and found a bunch of pictures and have to agree like this looks like a Pachyseris skeleton, based on the ridging lines and form. There are actually two pieces, the one on the upper left is set on top of the larger piece (did that make sense?). Is this bad for my tank, or did they sell me "fake" live rock, or does it not really matter? It has some growth of algae on it, and is moderately porous.

I'd have probably gone my entire life not having known that it was a Pachyseris skeleton. Thanks!

Archived