Top Shelf Aquatics

filtration Q's, please input

mnewsome

I currently have a 55 gal with approx. 40 lbs LR, 4 fish, button polyps, 4 snails, and a peppermint shrimp. I am about to switch everything to a 75 gal and had a couple questions. First, my current substrate is FL CC and I was thinking of changing it to LS with some CC mixed in. Any opinions on that? Secondly, I got a Magnum 350 canister filter with this tank I bought used and was going to use it in place of my millenium 3000 wet/dry (I bought this filter w/o knowing it shouldn't be used for SW). I have been hearing horror stories about canisters boosting nitrites and things and was wondering if anyone had any advice on this. Right now, with this "improper" filter, an undergravel filter, the LR, and a protein skimmer I have a very stable tank w/nitrates, nitrites and ammonia levels @0 and they have stayed this way for months (I've only had the tank set-up for 6 mos). I am just worried that by changing filters and leaving out the UGF that I may be doing a bad thing and may end up with an unstable tank. I feel that the canister filter has to be better than the one I have now though, right? Also, anyone have any thoughts about whether it would be good to drop the UGF or should I transfer that as well? Please I would love input from everyone.

bump

i recommend to ditch the ugf and go with the sand. i don't think you need to spend for live sand tho since you're just transferring (actually, i never recommend buying LS). you present LR should seed everything and you could use some of the cc you have as well. i would limit the cc to no more than 10% of the new tank's substrate.

instability of the new tank depends upon how much time you plan between transferring the livestock. if it's a 'live' or immediate transfer you ought to consider having the ability to wc often and ammonia neutralizers to save the livestock from any possible cycle (maybe a small one) and addt'l stress. good luck!

Archived