inTank Media Baskets

culturing phytoplankton

keydiver

Hey everybody, I going over expenses for my tank and realized that live phyto for 20 bucks every other week really does add up! I was wondering if there was an easy efficient way to culture my own phyto that I could dose to my tank without negatively affecting water quality. I was looking at the 2 liter bottle style with two holes in the top and just putting liquid fertilizer in it. Is this method effective? What kind of fertilizer should I look for/ Watch out for. Any help appreciated, thanks

iprayforwaves
Hey everybody, I going over expenses for my tank and realized that live phyto for 20 bucks every other week really does add up! I was wondering if there was an easy efficient way to culture my own phyto that I could dose to my tank without negatively affecting water quality. I was looking at the 2 liter bottle style with two holes in the top and just putting liquid fertilizer in it. Is this method effective? What kind of fertilizer should I look for/ Watch out for. Any help appreciated, thanks

Hey, I've found the 2 liter bottle method to be pretty effective. I culture photo for my rotifer and pos cultures.

Tips & Things to watch out for:

Make sure you have at least 2-3 bottles going in case one crashes

Keep your cultures somewhere in the house where the temp is stable. I moved mine into the garage for a short time and they kept crashing.

You can keep extra photo in the fridge or give it away! Of you keep it in the fridge, shake it up a couple times a week.

Label your bottles with harvest date.

Hey, I've found the 2 liter bottle method to be pretty effective. I culture photo for my rotifer and pos cultures.

Tips & Things to watch out for:

Make sure you have at least 2-3 bottles going in case one crashes

Keep your cultures somewhere in the house where the temp is stable. I moved mine into the garage for a short time and they kept crashing.

You can keep extra photo in the fridge or give it away! Of you keep it in the fridge, shake it up a couple times a week.

Label your bottles with harvest date.

use the paste. its alot easier. reeds works best for me

the stuff that florida aqua farms is the best. easy too. I need some more.

I wrote this but it need some updating. It'll give you a general idea tho for a low budget phyto-grow-op.

Archived