ReefCleaners.org

70w ballast differences

KrackerG

...i did some searching and haven't found any exact answers so i'm starting a new thread: :P

The ballast in my 20" CCSL is a WPI EM85-120-S01 (inspected by the same 3/97 date). I've been seeing these WPI EM90-120-S03 100w ballast going around. Are these just the new "replacement" model of the EM85 (looking at the inspected date could help)?

Aromat recently released it's replacemnet to the 3-euf ballast, the 5 -euf which runs cooler, less power, futher mounting distance, etc. so I wonder if this EM90 is WPI's new model.

FWIW, Advance makes an electronic 70w ballast that is actually both 70/100 watts and 120V/277V ...but the one I've got says right on the label, "FOR SINGLE ENDED BULBS ONLY!" I'm hoping maybe the EM90 is just the same buy it's slim?? I think advance also makes a new slim 70/100w ballast....hmmmmm....

Lastly, another person said the new WPI EM90 may fire SE bulbs only like the 6500k 70w Iwasaki...:P

Here is a spec sheet for the Aromat 5eu.

www.aromat.com/pdf7.pdf

This shows a wiring diagram and the difference between the F and J models.

Still trying to find a price on this one. I saw a sight that had them for around $85.00? Forgot to bookmark it! :blush:

sammy33

contact jorgeinmiami about the aromats. He works for a light distributor and has connections with aromat (actually a division of matsu######a...ie panasonic). He can get just about anything you want....

He is selling the 5EU models (mine looks like a 'j') pre-wired into a junction/conduit box...with a heavy guage power line&plug running in, and similar running out to the bulb... All you have to do is connect one wire to each end of the bulb/socket, and attach the ground...and all good. He sells this combo for $65. I love it. The ballast gives off very little heat...140degreesF at most, and a slight whine when it first starts up...otherwise silent.

WPI IS still in business. i've visited thier website and have spoke w/ Ken S. several times last week... however, their PRODUCT, the EM series of ballast are no longer made.

Warner Power recent acquired another company so I would say they are FAR from going out of business. Their new product line is used more for lighting the movie industry and for the military industry. They do have some new ballast coming soon but we have to wait and see if it's anything we can use on our aquariums....my guess, 150w-175w will be their minimum.

thashBINH-- the verdict about the EM90-120-S03 is still unknown. try it out...wanna be the guinea pig??:P

Archived