Cultivated Reef

Has anyone had a spill in an apartment?

pimp4cheddar

Just looking to see if anyone had any issues with keeping a tank on higher floors...

I currently have a 29 gallon on a second floor...but I'm moving to a forth floor apartment in two months and the new place requires the renter(s) to have insurance. I'm only going to get personal liability...but I started to wonder - what happens if my tank cracks????

Does anyone know what the protocol is for a leaky tank in an apartment. I know all leases are different...but just looking to get some ideas...

Thoughts...

Check your lease, it might restrict aquariums.

As for cracks, it's very unlikely. However, if you are worried, get an acrylic aquarium.

Fish tanks are fine...I'm just curious as to who picks up the bill in the event of an accident...

:unsure: I'd call my agent. The landlord would likely try to hold you responsible for all damages to the apartment(s).

I have a renters insurance policy through State Farm. Your coverage may vary, but I called my agent the other day specifically asking what would/would not be covered with the aquarium.

In the case of the tank breaking, they said that the home owner should have insurance that covers unintentional damage to the property, outside of tenants control (i.e. water pipe bursting and flooding, washing machine leaking, etc). He said that usually they would try and have the owner's insurance policy cover the damage to the property if the tank broke, however if the owner's insurance rejected the claim, State Farm would pick up the cost up to my liability limits. So regardless, with my policy I would be covered if the tank just randomly burst.

In the case of a renter being negligent (i.e. running into the tank and breaking it), he said it really depends on the situation, however the same applies as above: If the home owner's insurance did not cover the claim, State Farm would pay any damages up to my liability limit.

In terms of replacing the aquarium, equipment and livestock however, he said that those items would not be covered under my policy.

Have always been really happy with State Farm, and I pay I think around $150/year for $500k liability, and $30k personal property.

As always, your mileage may vary (even with State Farm), so call your agent and ask them to make sure your policy will cover aquarium related damage.

Edited by seabass

+1 to if your afraid it will crack go with acrylic. I live on the 3rd story and I have a 20 gallon with 10 sump and my roommate has a 46 gallon. I'm sure the 29 gallon should be fine. Not sure of who takes care of the bill though in a worst case scenario.

I have my bc29, 2x 20L reptile tanks, and 1 120gal hermit terrarium and that of course does not count everything else of mine, and I am on the third floor.

25 gallons of water isn't a major concern. It might get the downstairs wet. Think about water heaters busting and pipes leaking. I had a toilet line break and flood the entire bathroom and downstairs apartment. I have on a few occasions spilled aroudn 15-25 gallons of water. I wouldn't worry too much.

I've had a few spills with too manu issues but they were on the first floor. My suggestion to you is to make sure your renter's insurance would cover an aquarium mishap. Some policies do and some don't. That will help protect you in case of an accident. This is what I have but I haven't had to use it.

You probably wouldn't lose all 29 gallons, and unless you have pets that might cause it I'd think you are more than likely to be around when it happens. The quicker the cleanup the less likely damage is to occur.

Just a quick update...

The floors are hardwood in the new place (I know...I'm all fancy)...

I called today and spoke with the Asst. Prop Manager...and she advised me that:

The insurance I'm required to have is only for personal property. If the the washer blows up and my apartment gets flooded...none of my personal items are covered. They would cover all repairs to the actual unit. I asked about my fish tank...and they advised me of the same thing. If my tank was to crack at 3am...they would cover the repairs to the unit...and I would be responsible for my personal prop.

I'm still not truly believing her...so I'll double check on the lease. I currently live on the second floor and I've had my 29 gallon for almost 2 years and never once thought about it...but since this whole insurance thing came up...I'm now skurred.

talk to your insurance about how to be fully-covered in case the tank breaks

the added premium is probably pretty low

$5/month isn't much money for peace of mind.

having said that- there are also things you can do to help minimize potential leaking. a shallow tray to hold your sump, with a water-activated sump-pump that goes to a sink or bucket could mean that a tank crack doesn't flood anything

but it might be cheaper to just get insurance

• Like 1

:huh: just a thought....... why would the tank just crack or leak? they usually need a reason

i got a 2yr old. im pretty sure i know where my leak will come from

do a leak test, if it leaks, then you know you cant use that tank....they typically dont just break for no reason

I used to have a 150 gal, fish only tank in a second floor apartment. I came home one day and there was a nasty note on my door and the sump was empty. A hose on the return pump came loose and the pump pumped the sump dry, shooting water out of the stand. It dumped probably 30 gallons onto the floor and into the old lady's apartment below. It ruined a bunch of her furniture and the carpets needed cleaning and the ceiling needed paint. My insurance covered it minus my deductible. The old lady moved.

I used to have a 150 gal, fish only tank in a second floor apartment. I came home one day and there was a nasty note on my door and the sump was empty. A hose on the return pump came loose and the pump pumped the sump dry, shooting water out of the stand. It dumped probably 30 gallons onto the floor and into the old lady's apartment below. It ruined a bunch of her furniture and the carpets needed cleaning and the ceiling needed paint. My insurance covered it minus my deductible. The old lady moved.

... you win.

Sucked to be her.

if you land lord is down with it get her statement in writing. and noterized. but i'd still get ins. to cover my stuff should it need replacing. and i did have a 30 gallon tank crash to the floor while i wasn't home. on the 3rd floor. called up maint. and we got it vaccumed up with minimal damage to the 2nd floor unit. mostly just fresh paint on the wall and ceiling.

Deleted User 6

i flooded the landlords kitchen by leaving my rodi running all night. also, i flooded the basement twice doing the same thing. i've relegated all rodi activity to the sink or tub.

My renters insurance covers the tank itself as personal property (in case of a fire, or hurricane or something destroying the house) and any accidents involving the aquariums as liability.

I had my agent do special research about it because I have so many, and so much $$$$ in, aquariums.

Tanks don't usually just break. It's either something hits the tank or the stand was faulty. Most spills come from plumbing malfunctions or RO/DI screwups.

Normally if there is water damage that the lease covers it is if a water heater or pipe bursts, your renters insurance should cover your personal property in case of fire, flood, etc.

Now, if your tank overflows or leaks it will be your fault unless you have insurance that strictly states that any damage done by your fishtank that is accidental will cover any damages to the building AND neighbors.

I would be more worried about the people below, it can ruin their stuff as well.

Get a hold of your insurance company and ask them if damage is caused from your tank will be covered, liability usually means yours property will not be covered but theirs will, neighbor/unit damage.

I purchased a 20 gallon Finnex acrylic aquarium specifically because of this reason. When my nano cube arrived last year from marinedepot it was already cracked. Instead of dealing with a replacement and potentially costly apartment repairs from a leak I just sucked it up and went acrylic. It scratches easily but I clean it weekly with an acrylic scratch removal kit and one year later it is pristine. I dont worry about it cracking on me. Until I find a thick, high quality, all in one glass aquarium, I will stick with acrylic until I own a house with tile floors.

• 8 years later...

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

14 minutes ago, Shane33 said:

If I lost about 10 gallons and got it cleaned up pretty quickly what are the chances of it making it to the downstairs apartment beneath me??

I suppose it depends on the flooring.  Some are more water resistant than others.  10 gallons on carpet placed on the subfloor would likely make it through.  A modern laminate floor might fair better.