Cultivated Reef

RO/ salted RO, how long....

nosm

I want to set up a 1.5 gal pico, in fact I've bought it already.

I don't want the hassle of using an RO unit, plus for such little weekly water changes it's not worth the £££.

My Lfs sells RO at £5 for 25litres and salted £6 for 25litres, I've worked out that this will last atleast 4 months.

This will be much less hassle, How long can I keep RO and salted RO if I run air pumps.

Thanks.

RO water can last a long time in a sealed container, that includes salt mixed.

I did same thing for awhile, buying water from the LFS.

That being said, I eventually wanted total control of my tank. I wanted to determine my own salinity and such. Also it is easier to have it all here when im ready instead of making trips to LFS just for water.

Cheers for the reply.

As water changes will only be 10-15% per week is heating the water essential? The temp drop in the display tank will be minimal/zero if I add it slowly over an hour.

... When you say sealed do you mean air tight, will I not need a pump?

Cheers for the reply.

As water changes will only be 10-15% per week is heating the water essential? The temp drop in the display tank will be minimal/zero if I add it slowly over an hour.

I guess that would depend on the difference in temps - in a small tank it can really swing your temps by adding water that is much colder then your display.

I agree with the above poster - prior to purchasing my own Ro/Di unit I purchased water from my LFS both fresh and salt mixed. Those where stored up to a month prior to use.

What about upto 4-6 months?

Sure, why not? I do not see what would suddenly go bad. I suppose if there were some sort of dissolved solids for bacteria to consume then you might have some algae. But in a sealed container that is not sitting in sunlight, I would think you would be fine.

Maybe be sure to shake up the container every time to do a water change. Make sure nothing separates out of solution.

under the sea

on such a small tank i would watch the parameters very closely. depending on the bio load and filtration you might need to do bigger weekly changes like 30% or more. don't you have any of those water vending machines at food markets?

Archived