Pod Your Reef

Brown wafer algae?

paneubert

IMG_4790.jpg

IMG_4793.jpg

Lobophora sp. ?

Brown wafer algae?

This stuff is on my rock that seems to enjoy growing less Green star ployps.....and more slime, hair, and this stuff. What is it? Looks like some sort of plating, brown, flexible, sort of clearish algae.

Bump to the front page. Don't want to put this rock into my new tank if it is bad news.....from what I have read, some people think this stuff will take over and destroy, some people think it is harmless. Any opinions?

I've seen some of this stuff too, it doesn't seem to spread very fast, it will encrust and also plate like a monti cap

Not sure on the name though, sorry

Could it be blue scroll? Mine looks somewhat like that except a bit more green. I know the blue pigment depends on what lighting you're using. Either way, I think its harmless as plating macros tend to grow slower then other

My blue scroll looks like that in low light. There are many forms of Padina species that have different coloration. But my guess is Padina. The algae is fairly decent in nutrient uptake, it should not over run your tank and herbivores do like this algae.

Thanks everyone. This stuff is on my GSP rock that I bought fully encrusted with GSP. Over time various algae has tried to take over. The GSP battled some hair, then it seemed like cyano, then when I took out the rock to switch it to my new tank, I saw this stuff. The comments about low light make sense since this stuff was not even in view until I picked up the rock. Also, the rock was on my sand, so as far from the light as physically possible ;)

+1 to lobophora, lobophora variegata is a menace, good luck beating it back

Blue scroll is not a padina species either, you can tell because it isn't calcified. Padina is the only genus of brown algae that is calcified.

Blue scroll is not a padina species either, you can tell because it isn't calcified. Padina is the only genus of brown algae that is calcified.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification John! :)

I think blue scroll is likely a species of Distromium, like Distromium flabellata or something similarly spelled. :) I got a piece awhile back but I think I lost it in a tank cleaning or something. Came in healthy stayed healthy, tank was cleaned it disappeared... :( That stuff is cool! I am on the hunt again for another piece...

edit - nevermind, I got that thread confused I was referring to.

Hmmmmmm. Well.....maybe I will take out the rock and see if maybe I can cut off some of the coral and just nuke the rock afterward. It is a smaller rock and really has no value to me other than the GSP I had growing on it. Luckily I have always kept this rock on its own in the sand bed. Did not want the GSP to spread to any real rocks.

Archived