inTank Media Baskets

Attaching Dragon's Breath (Halymenia)

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

So, for those that have it, has anyone figured out a long term solution for attaching it to something? Mine always eventually either rots away at the hold (glue or rubber band) or just slips away because it's rather rubbery. How do you get it to stay? It's never attached itself to anything.

gulfsurfer101

I just use the smallest zip ties I can find at home depot or lowes to hold it to a piece of rubble and just hide the tie in the rockwork. It holds much better than the rubberbands, is more permanent, will get covered in coraline and hide itself in no time at all.

I couldn't tell you. Mine came attached to a rock. FWIW, the only two macros that I have EVER had attach were dictyota and caulerpa. Even after months, 98% don't ever attach IME. I prefer rubber bands. But may look into the zip tie idea.

I used a rubber band and eventually the halymenia encrusted over the rubber band. I only noticed this when I moved it to another spot. The encrusted portion was pretty stiff not slippery/rubbery like it usually is. I double banded it and looped the algae in between the two bands. Just my experience with it.

• 2 weeks later...
carbon-mantis

I used the ruber band trick when I was growing some a few years ago, worked well enough when the frags didn't spontaneously decay, though some inverts wuill be quick to pluck it out(little crab devils, ruined many a good piece of algae before I had the sense to get rid of them). The stuff seems to love growing on/in powerheads unfortunately; a LFS in the area had all of their powerheads in one tank encrusted with the stuff.

I kept mine attached to a koralia since I didn't observe it making any "rhizomes" to attach to rocks. It grew well since the flow kept it from bunching up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived