Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

"live" rock in coldwater

Pxiong85

So i went to go check out this dudes place to purchase a few nice "live" rock. He opens up his garage and he has about 500lbs of pretty decent rock in a big shallow tub with plastic lining. He has water and a drain into a sump and it pumps water back into the tub. The water was anywhere between 45-50*. Would this still be considered live rock? I bought 3 lbs of pretty nice rock from him and dumped it in my fuge to try and speed things up. What do you guys think?

So i went to go check out this dudes place to purchase a few nice "live" rock. He opens up his garage and he has about 500lbs of pretty decent rock in a big shallow tub with plastic lining. He has water and a drain into a sump and it pumps water back into the tub. The water was anywhere between 45-50*. Would this still be considered live rock? I bought 3 lbs of pretty nice rock from him and dumped it in my fuge to try and speed things up. What do you guys think?

not sure of my answer, but i would say yes. i've gone diving off catalina island where the water hits the 40's over winter. rock seems live enough to me, so i have no idea why it wouldn't be live. they also store marine bacteria in refrigerators some times and the bacteria is still live when it goes into your tank. but that's all im basing my answer on, maybe someone will have some more technical input.

Sounds good. Because after I got done looking through all the rocks my hands were numb. I always see live rocks with a heater. Never seen it that cold. If its live its live! Thanks for the input.

it really depends on what you want to get from the rock

'pods and some algae and some bacteria can have fairly broad temperature tolerances

corals, many algae, some bacteria, etc may not be able to survive in both 50 degrees and 80 degrees water....

in the end, I would expect some die-off when you put the rock into your warm tank. It'll probably still cycle faster than using dry rock, and you might end up with something interesting that either survived the cold-spell, or survived the warm tank.

Archived