SaltCritters.com

Is dosing calcium really neccessary?

sdbeazley

Hello I just got 11 pounds of some Figi or other pacific rock and some tonga that has been established at my LFS for 4 years! It has some nice coraline and some free Zoo poplyps that have some colors. There is something that looks like a feather duster but it is red and white striped is it one? I also have little plant looking things everywhere that are white and green they are only like a 1/2 inch tall growing everywhere what are these. But my main question is he said that without dosing calcium that the coralline will die? I already had livesand that cycled and 52 watts of 6500 K compact fluorescent. Is this substantial with my reef crystals salt to kep the Coralline alive or is this a ploy for him to make money? There are more Zoos than I thought and they have all opened up does this mean that they`ll live through the cycle!

Reefer_Buddha

not always. Some salts have enough calcium in them to not need additional calcium dosing. Really depends on the other corals you want in your tank not just coralline. Test you CA levels after mixing some salt to see where they are, if below 425-450 then consider something like b-ionic or kalk if you want CA dependant corals in your tank.

OK cool I bought a small blue leg hermit for a copper test but it lived so I want to know if i can add him back in from a holding tank. Thanks for the fast reply!

A blue leg might not be as sensitive to Cu as Corals and other inverts......If you really want to test, buy a test kit! Why do you suspect Cu?

There are way to many possible answers to this as many things consume and utilize calcium assuming that the salt mix has enough in it along with water changes. You need to test to find out....and remember anything you add corals, etc that can affect ca levels. Testing is the only way to know for sure if you need to dose and how often you need to.

Cameron

Actually I dont suspect Cu but just cant tell why for sure I do except for that it is pretty old and could have had copper in it. I would like to know if he would survive the cycle though if I add him back in?

It depends on what you have that will use it, more things the more you'd have to add. If you don't have much water changes will be fine. You'll have to test and test and test and see what your levels are. Then you'll know how much and when you'll have to dose.

Archived