Pod Your Reef

pristine water

SeanK

what are some good ways to get my water to be pristine for coral?

i have a dry filter floss, protein skimmer, and carbon packets to filter my water

what else can i have that will make my water verry clean?

instead of carbon use chemi pure (has carbon in it to) to remove tannins

add chato ( salt water plants) to remove nh4 n02 n03

and use a water polisher once a week (or once a month up to you) to remove the cloudiness polishing pad

just rig that up to a powerhead u can get it at your lfs

instead of carbon use chemi pure (has carbon in it to) to remove tannins

add chato ( salt water plants) to remove nh4 n02 n03

and use a water polisher once a week (or once a month up to you) to remove the cloudiness polishing pad

just rig that up to a powerhead u can get it at your lfs

for chemipure, do i just put it in a mesh bag?

and do chato need light?

and for the water polisher, i need to buy the whole filter system?

for chemipure, do i just put it in a mesh bag?

and do chato need light?

and for the water polisher, i need to buy the whole filter system?

Chemipure (carbon) and Chemipute Elite (removes phosphates and has carbon) come in a mesh bag and CPE should not be removed from that mesh bag. Chaeto does requite a light and there are many different ways to go about doing this. Your filter floss will do about the same as any polishing pad, especially filter floss like StevieT sells. I would say carbon, chaeto and filterfloss would be plenty to keep your water both clear and nutrient free as long as you do enough waterchanges to take out excess organic matter. The next step up would be a carbon + GFO (Granular Ferric Oxide) such as Chemipure Elite instead of just carbon.

sugar, or vodka. The natural approach.

sugar or vodka?

those clean the water?

ive heard of vodka dosing, but i thought that was only to enhance coral's color

well, ill try and buy some chaeto algae, purigen, and chemipure elite

and maybe that will stop my corals from dying within a week of getting them

well, since my water parameters seem to be perfect but i still have coral that die within a week

ive decided to do a 90-95% water change

to save myself the hassle of testing a thousand times and figuring out the problem

Really if your corals are dieing in a week it's probably not dirty, its prob toxic in a way. And by that i mean it prob has problems with alkalinity or pH or some toxin being released in the water.

Depending on the coral, some thrive in dirtier water, some will brown out and lose color but most will not simply just die.

What are your water params including salinity/temp? What colors are dieing quickly, which ones die the quickest.

Are their temp spikes or spikes of anything else?

I take it back if it's SUPER DIRTY and i mean like 100+ppm nitrate heavy phosphate kind of dealy. But any regular kind of water change and decent live rock should be preventing that.

so i was thinking about it and i remember on a hot day

i put an ice pack in my sump to cool it down

an hour or so later i come back and the ice pack is empty

and i did a crap load of water changes

but i think the chemicals in that ice pack is what is killing all the LPS that i buy.

so i was thinking about it and i remember on a hot day

i put an ice pack in my sump to cool it down

an hour or so later i come back and the ice pack is empty

and i did a crap load of water changes

but i think the chemicals in that ice pack is what is killing all the LPS that i buy.

Waterchanges and carbon would be your two best friends if you have a chemical problem. Worst case scenario is a totaled and unusable system for corals.

Waterchanges and carbon would be your two best friends if you have a chemical problem. Worst case scenario is a totaled and unusable system for corals.

well im already prepping a 90% water change.

got 25 gallons of RODI 1.025 water at the moment.

15 more to go

wait, you mean that the inside goo from an ice pack was dispersed into your tank? If so, then you could have a potential release of Ethylene glycol into your tank.

no doubt that you've got something odd happening

I think that changing out all or nearly all of the water is a good first step, along with adding something like chemipure or polyfilter to pull out remaining traces of 'poison' from the system

give it a week, then try another coral

wait, you mean that the inside goo from an ice pack was dispersed into your tank? If so, then you could have a potential release of Ethylene glycol into your tank.

yes, i think so too

well im almost done with my super massive water change.

just waiting on the last 5 gallons of RODI to fill up

no doubt that you've got something odd happening

I think that changing out all or nearly all of the water is a good first step, along with adding something like chemipure or polyfilter to pull out remaining traces of 'poison' from the system

give it a week, then try another coral

yeah i got some purigen and chemipure elite

along with my ~99% water change.

so i shoouuld be okay to have coral now.

but ill let it sit for a week or two before i try again.

Obi_Wan_Goby
don't forget to rinse your chemi pure elite first in RO.

What if you rinse it in tap water? Should you rinse everything that calls for it in RO water only? Since I don't have a RO water unit I have been rinsing in tap water but I try make sure I shake any excess water off of the item.

Obi_Wan_Goby
It won't hurt to rinse it tap, but it will decrease the life, as the product will do it's job and remove the unwanted elements from the tap water.

Thanks! One of those things where once you see it you go d'oh and hit the forehead! :lol:

I would perform one more total change after that additional week or two before trying any livestock. As per the CDC is breaks down in water in several weeks.

well i finished my 100% water change

and my fish already seem to be happier

my firefish and yasha has are always hiding,

but today they felt like going outside and chillin.

i dont know if its just coincidence or if my water change made that big of a difference

sugar or vodka?

those clean the water?

ive heard of vodka dosing, but i thought that was only to enhance coral's color

well, ill try and buy some chaeto algae, purigen, and chemipure elite

and maybe that will stop my corals from dying within a week of getting them

Careful with these carbon dosing techniques. They are extremely powerful. They do enhance coral color but also render water sparkling clear.

Don't even touch these unless you have a quality skimmer properly rated for your tank.

As for the dying coral part, something other than water clarity is the problem. params check.

ah missed the post about the ice pack leak. looks like you have the problem figured out.

Archived