Coral Vue Hydros

Favorite PC Retro

ReeferMonkey

I'm looking at PC Retro kits to put over a 10g. Here's the way I see it break down:

Hello Lights-

14" 28w Retro - Hello Lights, $70

18.5" 96w PowerQuad - don't know maker, $130

Champion Lighting-

15" 32w Smartlite Retro - CSL, $55

18" 96w PowerQuad - CSL, $120

8.5" 27w Quad Retro - CSL, $60

Drs Foster & Smith

15" 2x32w PC Retro - don't know maker, $135

I'm going to want around 30W minimum, probably more in the 60W range so I can have some options for livestock. From what I've been reading, Hello Lights has true actinic bulbs, whereas the other companies have crappier, blue bulbs.

Also, I'll be fitting an Ecosystem 40 on the back of the tank, so I'll need some extra clearance along the back. Some of the retros are 3" or so wide, some are 4.5" wide. The 3" sets allow me to possibly include multiples, or drop in a smaller for actinic supplementation.

Can anyone offer any personal experience with the PC retros from these companies, or offer any other good etailers with quality equipment?

I'm dying to set my tank up, and I keep delaying myself OVER and OVER again as I change my mind about setup. I'm about to return a Minibow 7 and just roll with the 10g. Arrgh.

Nathan

OK, I just checked out ahsupply.com, they have 36w Retros and 13w Retros.

Additionally, heat and ballast storage is also an issue. I like the smaller reflectors with contained ballasts vs. an external ballast that I have to stash somewhere.

Go with the best so you won't have to do it again. If not MH then the 96watt quad. Don't go cheaper just for cheaper because you'll end up replacing it in the end. Do it right and save yourself mucho $$. I'd say screw a retro unless it's a MH, if it's not get the CL quad aqualight w/ the legs you'll be much happier or even pick up a CSL 2x40 probably pretty cheap. Then you can add MH to it later if you'd so decide.

2hip2Bsquare7

look for corallife a 96W PC quad, the fixture rules, and coralife bulbs are very high quality. It's a 20" fixture, with a 17" bulb, perfect for a 10 gal.

Anyone who tells you to put a halide on that tank is nuts you will be topping off that tank with 10 gallons of water a week from evaporation, unless you have your own R.O. unit, in which case go for it - but you will always be looking at your tank through squinted eyes, that sucker will burn your retinas.

Reefer_Buddha

2hip, sounds like youre the one thats nuts. Halide is the best thing you can do for a tank. Evap probs? Thats why they made auto top off units. Any tank on this site thats in the top ranks is 99% halide. And if youre staring at the light then you dont deserve to see, you look at the TANK. derrr

Well, just as soon as I decided to cancel my order to DRFS, I decided that I do indeed want to stick with the Minibow. My biggest concern is that my cats will get into the 10g, as I planned to put an Ecosystem on the back... which has an open top. The Minibow is nice and sealed (mostly) and I'm really fond of the shape.

For you guys with MH on a minibow, about how much top-off do you do daily/weekly? And I assume that you have glass over the tank if you're using DE bulbs.

I figure that getting a 30ish watt PC retro isn't a waste if I go MH, I'll surely want actinic supplementation and dawn/dusk. So dropping $50 now won't hurt me when I step up to the plate and drop $200 or so on a MH and one of Matt Gecko's hoods. This is my first tank anyway (despite eons of research) so it won't hurt to start slow.

Back to the PC retros, has anyone bought a Hello Lights PC system? Or just their bulbs and slapped them into another retro?

Well maybe he dont want MH. IF you dont i would go with this order.

CSL pc hood 2x40watt $130

or

2x36inch ashsupply retro w/ one 10k and one true 03 achtinic.

Both will allow you to do all softies, LPS, some sps but im not knowlegable on SPS. And theres 2 or 3 clams that would be sucsessfull clams you could do. LIke the Derasa, maxima, and crocea all 3 should do find with 8watts per gallon on that 10. Heck i have a VERY sucessfull 15 gallon via aqua with a candy cane, and a plate coral with the stock 36watt pc hood B) . Its all about the placement im even suprised how good they are doing. I got the plate and candy cane placed at the very top of the tank.

Dont forget clams can grow scarey big so have a back up or be able to trade em back to the LFS. My LFS have small agracultred LPS hard coral tanks under vho which is a plus for me since i use it on my 29. And they have these little clams only 2 inches big ther so cool.

Reefer_Buddha

just be careful with the little plastic minibow tops , halide gets hot you might need to just do a regent fixture like reefriot did.

Archived