inTank Media Baskets

Macroalgae in Display Tank

Kmatt08

Hello all, I was interested in adding some botryocladia or some ochtodes to my main tank and I was wondering how people have faired with this idea as I know some macroalgae can become really invasive to corals in a reef tank.

Hello all, I was interested in adding some botryocladia or some ochtodes to my main tank and I was wondering how people have faired with this idea as I know some macroalgae can become really invasive to corals in a reef tank.

I have Ochtodes in my 34g Solana tank. I have it under 150W mh and 4 -24w T5s. It is a very deep purple. It does grow rapidly in my tank. I also have Halimeda in my display which grows well. I think Ochtodes is popular for its deep color, as it was for me. I dont think its invasive like caulerpa. I think it also depends on how you use it. Ochtodes grows in a ball. I wedged mine between a rock and the tank wall. It has now attached to the rock. When I harvest it, I just am careful to try and get the small pieces that break off. If you dont they can start growing elsewhere. But again it is a pretty macro.

I have some for sale if you are interested

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry3036826

other macros which are good for the display are things like gracilaria, halimeda, neomeris (fuzzy tip), nemastoma, Halymenia (aka Dragon's Breath, Flame).

thanks for the help guys, yeah some of the macros i've seen on here so far are pretty awesome. I'll definitely give it a shot now that i see others have done it with not too many problems.

@shan i already have the botryo ready to go in so I think I might just stick with one for now, but i'll definitely be interested the next time you harvest some, so keep me updated! lol Thanks again.

Archived