Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help

Skippy03

Just ending my cycle on 20L and 20lbs live rock, all levels are at zero but I have a green (I believe algea) growing on my crushed coral and LR. Is this supposed to be happening???

OH NO! You have the NOTORIOUS green slime of DEATH!

just kidding. Its algae, yo. snails eat it. Time to get snails. :D

I suggest anything with "trochus" in the name...

Thanks, you did have me scared for a second. Getting snails tommorrow. Should I get any crabs yet?? getting some yellow tail damsels on friday. Just 2 to get started.???

2 damsels to get started? What are you planning on keeping? Make sure you research specifically: what other people keep in their 20 gallon tanks, and how certain fish interact with eachother. If you have 2 damsels in there for awhile and then toss in a clown, they might terrorize it. Also, if you're planning on keeping much more than 2 fish, you should know that up to 4 fish would probably be pushing the bioload limits of a 20 gallon tank (of course there are exceptions).

Anywhooo - It probably wouldn't hurt to get one or two hermits. They tend to munch on different stuff than snails (detritus, filamentous algae, etc).

If it were my tank, I would add the cleanup crew. Maybe feed the crabs once in awhile to start getting some waste generated... wait and wait and make sure you dont' have any majore algae breakouts. After I was sure that the tank can handle the bioload, then I would start getting fish. If you get fish right off the bat, you will have a much greater chance of having an algae breakout.

I have 2 guppies in the tank now, will get rid of them after the damsels come in. Damsels are only temp, I really want 2 clowns and a royal gramma in it and maybe one more. and an anenome too with some corals.

Yes, I know, but you can acclimate them to saltwater, almost any live bearer you can do that with. Been around freshwater alot as a kid. My wife would not let me flush them so had to put them in the tank for now. They will accidently dissappear soon. I am trying to go slow. so just damsels for now and maybe a aneneme in about a month. I might throw in a few corals for fun and try them out???

Your current plans are the opposite of "slow." You don't need any fish to "prepare" your tank. Thats what the live rock and cleanup crew are for.

Why not get a couple of corals in about a month, a couple more a month after that, then think about adding your first permanent fish.

The guppies... yeah. Your impatience portends a tragic failure. The Anemone is a bad idea all around. Read more, do less.

Ian

thanks for the input, I will probably need to be slapped around alot. I am a stay at home dad with 3 yr old triplets and my patients tends to be used up on them some days. Thanks and will try and control myself!!!!

Originally posted by Skippy03

thanks for the input, I will probably need to be slapped around alot.  I am a stay at home dad with 3 yr old triplets and my patients tends to be used up on them some days.  Thanks and will try and control myself!!!!

Cool. I think we all understand the impatience thing... It's just one of those situations where you can learn from the mistakes of others, or make your own. :-)

Good luck!

Archived