Top Shelf Aquatics

Back Again!

newbiefishgirl

newbiefishgirl

Hello all

I have not posted here in months.

I have been running my ten gal nano for about 10 months. I have two fish and one coral banded shrimp. All is well with the tank.... but I want something new in there. :)

I have very few zoos..... had them for awhile. My lights are not strong enough to handle too much else.

Only problem I have come across during the ten months is green hair alge. Tried everything to get rid of it. No luck!

But I want to add something new to the tank. What are some cool invert or something to add???? Anu sugestions??

newbiefishgirl

I have one false perc clown

1 purple firefish

3 snails

2 blue legs

1 coral banded shrimp

I have a 50/50 I think 16k?

is that right???

The zoos do fine with it!

Is your lighting a 50/50 power compact or other. At about 10 months you might need to replace the bulb. Also how long are you running your littles a day?

TheCurriculum

How many Watts is your bulb? hopefully it's atleast 50w

rule of thumb 5w-8w. if you have a 32w as I've been noticing on some old threads the tank will hold some zoo's and shrooms but not much growth and almost no propagation

If you get a replacement bulb go for a 10,000K 50/50 and not the 6500k 50/50

The 6500 promotes more algea growth and the your corals will perfer the 10K anyways.

are you using the biowheel on the penguin? how are your readings?

if the algae is a recent occurrence (month or so) i would suspect the lighting (i.e. age) as rocket suggests.

if it's been since day-one then i would suspect the biowheel, water source, or simply the nutrient level (i.e. export/import/biomass). hth

newbiefishgirl

Well I think I have the tenk light. I should replace, good idea.

Alge has been from like day 45 ! lol

Yes I did remove bio wheel, even tho the guy at lfs insited not to. I have not ever replaced the filer pad in the penguine. Should I do this?

U dont need to replace the filter pad (unless it has carbon which should be replaced every month) but you definitely need to clean it. If you don't clean those pads they can start building nitrates in your tank also. Unless you already have 1, I might suggest a turbo snail... just 1.

newbiefishgirl

You know I dont know if I have a carbon filter

I will need to check on that. I dont ever clean it, I was told not to becuase I will wash away all the good bacteria.

I do have about three snails, not sure if they are tubro'

When ever I go to the one or two lfs in my area they seem clueless when I ask them for a specific thing. LIke they are clueless.... makes me so upset because you should not sell what you dont know about!!!!! Should have to take a course or something.

newbiefishgirl

Oh, gees

No wonder I have the alge growth right??

So do I rinse this in tap water or do I use bottle water?? Do I let it soak?? Is it ok to take it out for a few mins?

Just an idea, but have you thought about a refugium? Growing macroalgae has made my hair algae problem disappear. If you have the space, a hang on back refugium (ReeferBuddah makes some REALLY nice looking ones) would be ideal. Short of that, you can do what I did: Take a "specimen container" bought at lfs, drill holes, and put some rock and sand in it and hang it on the side of the tank so that water flow hits it.

Just what I would suggest you do, before adding more livestock. Oh, and replace your bulb, as stated above. You might even want to toy with the idea of upgrading your lighting altogether. 96w powerquads are pretty cheap, and very effective.

Hope this helps, and good luck. Hair algae sucks.

-q

Easiest way that I've found to clean them is to soak them in distilled white vinegar (don't use flavored stuff!), then rinse them really well (tap water will suffice) to get the acetic acid off.

If they're not *that* grungy, then just soak them in hot water for a bit and knead some of the crud out of them.

hth

-q

newbiefishgirl

Thanks qfour.

I would like to do the extra refugium but I live in a small apt and the aquaroum is close to the wall.. I am not sure how I would work that. How exspensive are they???

Yes been wanting to upgrade to that quad that Hello Lights sells.

I get my tax return in about 3 wks!!!!! Maybe I will treat my tank :)

I don't know what RB charges for his fuges, but I know it's substantially less than a CPR aquafuge (similar design). Drop him a PM, and I'm sure he'll hook you up.

Or.... you can do the "in tank" fuge, like I did. The macro that I have in there is going NUTS, pods are breeding in there, which feeds my corals and fish and stuffs. Every time you cut out a clump of algae from the fuge, you are removing MASSIVE amounts of phosphates and nitrates from your system. Nutrient export has completely solved my hair algae problem. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

-q

**Isaka... good to see another Dallas reefer here**

Originally posted by newbiefishgirl

I have not ever replaced the filer pad in the penguine. Should I do this?

:x

you want to replace those floss/cartridge pads every now and then. you don't really have to use them (imo) if you control/limit your inputs and detritus levels.

when i have fish in a tank i usually use Poly-Filters to handle extra poop and the pad's changing of color is a easy way to gauge my maintenance schedule. hth

Reefer_Buddha

newbie, i can make you a deal on a fuge if you want one. Sounds like you need one as well to get rid of the algae. Let me know

Archived