Cultivated Reef

ok got corals now what-part 2

scapone

OK I now have a candy cane frag, and a beautiful yellow polyp frag, and Saturday i will probably get a nice mushroom rock. My question is about the photo periods. I find that corals crumple up like prunes if there is no light in the tank at all. when the actinic are on the the candy opens up a lot the yellow polyps are open as well. when the 10k is on both corals are open but the candy cane is not as open as he was under the actinic what gives. also when am I supposed to directly feed the candy cane i never saw it's tentacles and Ive seen people say they feed at "night" what does that mean? does it mean under actinic lighting? or under no lighting?

???

Try running the 10k's for 6-8 hours per day and run the actinics for 2 hours longer....Have them come on an hour before and turn off an hour after the daylights...So far as the Candy Coral you may not see it eat the draw in food (filter feed) , however, if I am correct they have symbiotic algae zooxanthellae are hosted within. Keep levels good and feed phtyo 2-3 times per week...

Archived