ReefCleaners.org

Need help with good beginner corals!

Blinkgyrl2987

Blinkgyrl2987

Hi All!

This is the first time I've posted in the coral forum!.

I'd like to know if you could suggest to me some corals that are good for a begginer.I found the following from live aquaria.com and none of these seemed to be extremely hard to keep.

Finger Leather - Sinularia species

Finger Leather - Lobophytum species

Toadstool - Green Leather Coral - Sarcophyton species

Purple mushroom - Discosoma species

Hairy Mushroom - Actinodicus Species

Star Polyps -Xenia species

Zooanthid Gold - Button Polyp Zoanthid species

Star Polyps - Green Briarium Asbestinum

Pulsing Xenia

Blue Mushroom - Actinodiscus (This needs Iodine?)

Flower/Ricordia Mushroom - Discosomia species (need Iodine?)

As you can see I only named Soft corals because that is all my tank can handle. I picked these out because most were either interesting, weren't too aggressive, didn't have high flow needs, nor too high of lighting needs. I would like to know if there are any on this list that Are not a good choice for a beginner. and could you please tell me which of these you have had experience with , and what it was like? I'd love to know everything you can tell me..I am brand new with corals Fell free to PM me also!. Thanks in Advance Megan~~~~~~:)

Start off by getting the mushrooms or star polyps. You do not want to add a bunch of corals at once, especially if the tank is still new. Make sure your cycle is complete and then try 1 or 2 corals and see how they do for a week or 2. Mushrooms are indestructible and will readily multiply. Don't add iodine unless your tank water tests as being deficient for it. Dosing iodine often causes more problems than it solves. Weekly water changes are usually sufficient to replenish most trace elements.

Blinkgyrl2987

Okay thanks! Any other help? Do I feed these guys or what? When , how, what do i feed... where to place in tank (top, middle bottom) will they spread fast? I need all the info! Thanks Alot... I'm looking for all the help i can get. No hurry though.. My tank has been set up for 6 weeks now.. and is just about done cycling.. when I do start adding corals it will be slowly and one at a time! Thanks Again Megan~`

Is it better to add a few corals before adding the first fish? Any opinions on this ..thanks a bunch .

Any mushrooms, polyps, or zoo's will be great first corals. They are all hardy. I would recommend putting mushrooms in the lower half of your tank, unless it is a ricordia, which will probably be fine anywhere. Zoo's or polyp's you can also pretty much put anywhere. Also, none of these corals "should" require any supplements or direct feeding. Have fun!

i recommend some zoo's,( moon polyps as the store sold them to me). also green star polyps. I am new and added these to my tank and they seem to be doing fine. its been a couple weeks and they seem to be growing. I also added a colt coral which seems to be the pickiest of the 3 corals i have, but looks the coolest.

Archived