Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help deciding on fish!

Blinkgyrl2987

Blinkgyrl2987

I have The JBJ Nano Cube and I'm haven't a hard time deciding what to get.

My first choice was a pair of ocellaris clowns - you know so I could see them form a pair, and follow each other around all day.

But then a part of me would rather just get one clown and then something small and bright like a royal gramma. ( I love the color)

I can get both of these fish when they are really small, but I know they will grow.What I'd really like is the pair of clowns and the royal gramma. But I think that in such a small tank there would probably be territory disputes and not enough room, even though (if I might say) My..Very very well aquascaped rock has plenty of coves, caves, tunnels, overhangs, and holes for my fish to hide in. What size tank would I need to have for all three of these fish together.. and what should I put in mt nano cube... I want lots of advice please! Thanks in advance. Megan~~~~~

hi megan, good choice in fish! i plan to add 2 fish to my 10g...i want a royal gramma too. you should be ok w/ your tank size... but you prob want to add one at a time to see how it takes :)

Blinkgyrl2987

well if I got to clowns it would be important to add them together so they don't fight..and so they can form a pair... but what do you think I should get ...the two clowns or one of each....or all three ...lol...I want all three...but if thats my case i know I need to start planning a new tank right now! Any other opinions are also welcome! Thank you

Blinkgyrl2987

Also another quick question how big do the ocellaris get.. I know when i get them they will be barely an inch big....( they are so cute at my LFS) will the male stay smaller and only the female will get bigger? Also royal gramma can be bought when they are under an inch. i wouldn't expect one to get more than 2 inches in my tank. these guys are hidders..I know one would take to my caves and tunnels really nicely...and be a splasdh of color up against the corals that i will eventually get.

your right about having to introduce them to your tank as a pair. now i am no fish expert, but i would spare the pair of clowns. they would be much happier in a larger tank... How about getting one of each? ...3 could be fine...adds diversity. color.

My 10gal second fish will prob be a yellow citron goby...small guy! :)

I wouldn't get those 3 fish as they can each get to a length of about 3-3.5 inches. Get either the pair of clowns (introducing them into the tank simultaneously - watch your water parameters) or 1 clown and the gramma. If you want a 3rd fish try a yellow/citroen goby or a neon goby.

Blinkgyrl2987

What size tank would I need for the three fish I want?... I will start setting up another tank if need be. Thanks again... I think I want a RG ..so i still can't decide.. they are both my favorite fish..(if thats possible..aside from the flame angel...they are me all time favs!)

woah! slow down, now your talking about getting a whole 'nother tank??! :P

no pairs...and these are going to be your first fish? as a first fish,

(get 1 hardy fish to start), look for something easy to keep. i thnk your nano cube will work fine for 3 small fish, but that's down the road...take it slow, nothing good happens fast in a good reef tank! ;)

blinkgrl, just here to give you an opinion that goes against what everyone is telling you. i too have a 12 gallon tank(eclipse12), and i have three fish. i have a pair of true perculas and a firefish. my clowns are both about 2" and pretty fat, and my firefish is about 2.5". there has never been any dispute over space. even though my firefish spends most of his time in a cave i built for him, he does come out a lot just staying suspended in the water column. the only time he darts around is when i feed them, and even then there's no problems w/ the clowns. and the clowns are pretty much all over the place all of the time. you will just have to be very persistent w/ your water changes. i do about 20% every two weeks, never longer than that. and i always test my water prior to and after my water changes, and to this day i have never ran into any problems. my nitrates don't even rise noticeably after the two weeks. just have a good clean-up crew to take care of all waste and leftover food. i know that some people won't agree with me on this, but i'm just letting you know that it can be done. if you're still worried about it, consider getting one of the smaller gobies(clown or neon) first, and then eventually add your pair of clowns. i prefer the perculas, but that's just me. it's all up to you. good luck.... j...

Blinkgyrl2987

I appreciate everyones different opinions.... I'd rather be told the ups and downs than just the ups..and then really screw up!

Just so you know I am not rushing anything.. in fact if I seem a little eager I am just eager for the information!... it doesn't mean I'm going to run out and buy everything at once...I may be a little overly excited because my ammonia test was finally reading 0 last night.. something I've been waiting for (for 6 weeks)

My cycle is still not over I have to work on bringing the nitrates down. as well as get a new ballast ( mine blew out) , get a new powerhead for more circulation, as well as let some algae start to grow and get my clean up crew! Trust me I have a lot to do, before my first fish.

Luckily my new ballast is in the mail as well as my powerhead. Then after I get my lights algae can start to grow....and while I'm waiting for this I will be slowly be bringing down my nitrates with water changes so to add a clean up crew ( which I already have planned out)

I am curious to know is it smarter to add the gramma first... or would the clowns do better first... I am more concerned about the little gramma.. I would feel scared coming into a territory with two established fish already in it.. So with that should I add the gramma first.... then again that little cute gramma might decide that every cave and hole and passage is his territory...and decide my clowns aren't welcome.. however I think the clowns can be buddies and help each other out. OH Nevermind I just reread what you said about never add a pair first... with that info. I will most definitely add the gramma first since he is hardy and I am only getting one.

After that I will start loking at beginner corals to add slowly one at a time.. should i establish corals in the tank before the first goes in? Just wondering.

Thanks for all the help.. You guys are great! MEgan~

megan, i read in another post that you have a clam?.?... if so, what kind is it? you just said that your lights weren't even working, and even if they were, the stock lighting in the cube is nowhere near the required amount to keep even the hardiest of clams alive. they need a lot of light. not only that, i've read that they should never be introduced to a tank that is not established(6-12months). if this is a clam that you purchased from the lfs, i would suggest that you take it back until you can really upgrade your lighting. if you look in the advanced forum, you'll see that most of the people there suggest only keeping clams under metal halide lighting.($$$$$) but if this is a clam that came as a hitchhiker on your rocks, then there's probably nothing you can do about it, just hope that it makes it until you are able to upgrade. and as far as fish go, you'd be right to put the gramma in there first to let him get established. then eventually you would be able to add your pair of clowns further down the road. at least you are seeking your info before you actually make your moves. very smart on your behalf. there's no room for impulse buying in this hobby. good luck... j..

Blinkgyrl2987

Thank you again.. for being very nice..

I have to tell you though that my "clam"that I talked of.... well I call it a clam but really i think it is a mussle of some sort! It came on my live rock and is very smalland grey ...I have no idea what kind it is but the guy at the lfs said that it is a filter feeder and will help clean my water... also that this type ( whatever it is...is not light dependent) Which is cool... I didn't even want him at first I picked up a piece of live rock and he was on there! and the guy was like "oh if he's stuck to the live rock you get him for free." so i said okay (thinking oh gosh I hope he doesn't die in my uncycled tank!) And actually he detached from the rock on the way home...but has moved around quite a bit...( very interesting) right now he's up front just sitting in the sand..and hes always opened up...so I think and hope that he's doing well. Thanks for checking though.. that would be really bad if I had a clam in my tank!

You were probably thinking..."taking her time ehh?" LOL but its all good... thanks again.. I am excited about my gramma.... I want to pick out a name for it and I don't even have it yet!

Question: what would be the best thing to feed him? I want to buy like every food that I can for my fish so they can have a varied diet... and so I can start out right buy giving them lots of different things...cuz I know sometimes once they are stuck to one thing thats all they want to eat!

Thanks Agian Megan~~~~

hitchhikers can be pretty cool, as long as they're not one of the pest anemones or mantis shrimps. it's especially cool that it survived your cycle! sounds like a very intersting creature. as for fish food, i feed my fish a variety of enriched brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, and osi marine flakes. both of the shrimp foods being frozen. if you're gonna use brine, make sure that you get the one that is spirulina enriched. i've read that plain brine shrimp holds absolutely no nutritional value. and the o.s.i. marine flakes are excellent for bringing out the vibrant colors in your fish, aside from being very nutritious. it all depends on what is available to you locally. most lfs carry a good selection of varied foods for marine fish, and if they don't, they should. you should name your royal gramma 'shy guy' or 'peek-a-boo', cuz he's gonna spend most of his time in holes in your rock with just his head sticking out. my mom has one in her 75g, and he's only out at feeding time or just before cause he knows what time the chow should arrive. very nice looking fish, especially when he opens his BIG mouth to scare away any intruders....

Archived