Top Shelf Aquatics

SO WHATS WRONG WITH PURPLE UP?

aquatame

Deleted User 6

WHY THE CAPS?

it's inferior to good husbandry at best, and destructive at worst. keep your calk/alk stable through water changes and dosing 2-part (like BRS or ESV), and coralline will grow as fast as it can.

Sorry for the CAPS.

I am at work and was working on something else in CAPS when I wrote the post.

I read some things where people were bashing it and wanted to know what people thought about it.

Do you... Q's

1) Have any Coraline in your tank? If yes go to #2

2) Do weekly water changes with a good reef salt high in Calc/Alk/Mag? If no go to #3

3) Still do weeky water changes and Dose 2 part Calc/Alk! If this option is to complicated, go to #4

4) Use PURPLEUP :mellow:

The main problem with Purple Up and Aragamilk is they don't disolve at a stable pH. This causes them to be more prone to the whims of pH swings in your tank than kalk or two-parts.

To be honest, I woulnd't call the product 'junk' either. I have a bare bottom tank and using it in addition to two part dosing seems to help buffering. Talked to a lot of other reefers who find it helps a bit in tanks with no substrate...because that's what is...finely ground sand :-)

As a substitute for regular calcium replenishment methods...no way.

If you buy carib sea aragonite sand and rinse the sand in a bucket of freshwater, the resulting white liquid is purple up. From experience it works. However, I periodically scrapped a rock full of coralline to release spores in the tank. I had nothing but actinic light on it. When you start to see coralline in the rocks, add calcium chloride, alk, and mg and you will see them spread.

I don't think there's anything really wrong with Purple Up and I used it for a little while, when it first came out. My rocks did get covered in Coralline and I didn't have any major water issues. However, I have since done more research and discontinued use of it because I prefer the 2-parts because it creates a balance between Ca and your Alk. It's just a lot easier than having to test my water all of the time after using Purple Up, Reef Buffer, and a bunch of other supplements. I still have two bottles of Purple Up sitting next to my fuge collecting dust..lol

I use 2-parts ESV B-Ionic daily and add a little Mg and extra Ca every few days. I still add some Essential Trace and Coral-Vite to my tanks once a week, but that's just a personal observation.

I just do 5 - 10% weekly water changes with decent salt and have found this good practice to keep levels steady.

I have never got into supplements and never found a need for them as long as water changes are frequent.

Purple up is basically "one-part" dosing, calcium, and more expensive than other calcium supplements. You can't have a single bottle with calcium and carbonate/bicarbonate (which make up alkalinity) because they would precipitate out to form solid calcium carbonate. Thus, it is not balanced if you add it alone and will lead to problems.

It's a good idea to read this overview of calcium/alkalinity supplementation schemes:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

WHY THE CAPS?

it's inferior to good husbandry at best, and destructive at worst. keep your calk/alk stable through water changes and dosing 2-part (like BRS or ESV), and coralline will grow as fast as it can.

D you seem like a smart guy. I like your posts and sharing of knowledge.

Deleted User 6
:lol: I just pooped a little in my pants

everyone knows i'm smarter than you. you just have a cool laser device.

send me a free trial of super glue. walgreens is out.

Archived