Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ack! more plumbing ?'s

glazer

Will this work? It seems sooooo simple there has to be a flaw, what am I missing?

I have my 'fuge overhead, it's drilled with an overflow. I have a minijet 404 in the nano feeding it. I would love to get the pump and return hose out of the tank.

Can I just sit the 404 in a HOB filter and have the return line dump back into the HOB as well? What could go wrong or not work? The 'fuge return only comes back with what is pumped in so I can't overpower the HOB, right? If the HOB fails then I basically have a closed loop, correct? I have to be missing something... I would LOVE to just have the pickup tube from the HOB in my tank instead of the pump and return line, this seems the perfect way to do it.

sure you could try that but My fear would be that the powerhead will pump faster than the HOB. But in theory it could work.

Toy

See that's it.... I was thinking the same thing as Toy, but then hmmm, if the water is going back into the HOB as fast as it is pumped out, then it's impossible to steal water away from the HOB. And by chance if the HOB fails for whatever reason I will just be recirculating the water in the HOB.

If this is soooo freakin' simple why do I have this nagging feeling I am missing something here and all my fiddling will be for naught?

If you put the return from the refugeum then your critters will get chopped up by the HOB and the Powerhead not a good Idea IMO.

Toy

Toy,

I think pods are alot tougher than most people think, they just tend to get "pushed" through the pumps, I clean out my HOB on my 30 every week... just use floss to trap dirt and it's always crawling with bugs. They could only get there by being sucked up out of the tank.

The HOB wouldn't be "chopping" up critters from the 'fuge as it would get its water from the tank. The pump in the HOB however might recirculate some of them but I think most would be washed out into the tank BY the HOB, yes?

Well, I am going to set this up and see what happens. If something goes awry I'll be sure to let ya know, hehe.

But,

If you throw another pump into the HOB it will disturb the flow many of those "tough" little buggers will recirculate over and over in your HOB till they are spit out.

Lots of room for an impeller clubbing if you know what I mean.

Good Luck,

Toy

Also follow this logic

refugeum > Hob> pump> Refugeum>HOB>Pump>Refugeum etc. They could in theory never even see the main tank caught in a never ending circle. Dunno.......

When I had my big tank going I used an external pump to run to my homemade sump. Just get a small external pump and run the inlet hose into your nano. Just watch you dont get a pump too big for your overflow.

Eheim Makes 79 and 158gph models.

Archived