Cultivated Reef

actinic for 10gal w/ hood

AReeferIsExpensive

AReeferIsExpensive

I have the little black plastic hood that came with my 10gallon tank. I have a 96watt coralife 50/50 on the top of my tank now however, i would like to add more actinic every once in a while for cor. growth and for veiwing.

What i want to know is, what kind of light can go into this empty hood besides the normal tube ones?

Can i put a power compact actinic light in it?

I saw those 18'' NO fl. tubes called "moonlight" or something but they were only 15 watts and i wanted stronger....which is why i was wondering.

if the hood will hold an 18 inch bulb, then you could retro a 36 watter PC in there. if that's too much, then 1x28 watt or 2x13 watt are two other options.

ahsupply.com would be a good source for lighting retros, specifically the 2x13 or 36 watt retros.

HTH

aqua_aaron

AReeferIsExpensive

1x28 sounds good for a 10g......

Now, if i get a new actinic bulb thats above 15 watts, would it be too much light to run WITH my 96watt 50/50s?? or do i need to turn that light off and run the actinic for a couple hours alone?

Im trying to encourage coralline growth without causing more harm than good.

sorry to have to say it, you may want to get a new hood or make one if you wanting more lights.

here is my 10 gal light...1 70w MH, 2x 40w actinic, 2 moons (I LOVE BLUE :P )

there is a link somewhere in the DIY section with more details...good luck w the lights!

areeferisexpensive

you have a good light don't mess with it you can grow almost anything with it

if you are worried about coraline you should focus on the Calcium and alkalinity levels buy tests kit if you do not have them already and and maintain 400-450 Ca and 8-12 Alk

that is the best way to grow it

in my tank the coraline grows the fastest in shaded areas

so don't worry about the lights too much

you are off to a good start

Archived