Cultivated Reef

GFO and coral bleaching

Hanser

I just added 3 TBS. of Pura Phoslock to my BC29. It is the recommended amount for my tank size. I've read that rapid PO4 reduction can adversely affect corals. Its been three days since I added the GFO and my corals (monti cap and red planet esp.) seems a bit more vibrant.

Question: Is it safe to assume that I won't see any bleaching of my corals at this point?

Can corals regain color after only three days of using GFO?

Thanks in advance.

I just added 3 TBS. of Pura Phoslock to my BC29. It is the recommended amount for my tank size. I've read that rapid PO4 reduction can adversely affect corals. Its been three days since I added the GFO and my corals (monti cap and red planet esp.) seems a bit more vibrant.

Question: Is it safe to assume that I won't see any bleaching of my corals at this point?

Can corals regain color after only three days of using GFO?

Thanks in advance.

You're safe... I've added too much GFO before and the bleaching occured overnight.

It sounds like the zooxanthellae levels may have decreased due to the lower phosphate levels. Brighter colors could be a sign of bleaching since coral pigments are only a part of a coral's color; zooxanthellae in normal levels add a yellow-brown color. It's a good idea to monitor the corals to see they are still growing. Try not to reduce your feedings to avoid exacerbating any problems.

Archived