Cultivated Reef

Buffer/ PH followup thread.

Whitten

After a very intersting convo about buffers, and PH I decided that it might be a good idea to ask questions for not only me but for others who have some concerns about adding buffers, and other chemiclas to their water. I like alot of begins made a mistake using Kalkwasser that cause my tank to crash, and making me very gun shy about adding anything to my tank.

Here is my question for those of you who use buffers, what do you use, and are there any chances of over dosing of messing up your tank to the point of crashing? I have been doing to some research and found a suppliment that I want to run past ya'll to see if it is worth buying.

Marine Buffer 8.3

that is the same buffer I use. It is difficult to overdose...just follow the directions.

On my nano I use the buffer without any other additives.

In my 100gal I use buffer and I also use Salifert All in One and Salifert Iodine.

All my buffering is currently handled by 1/2 strength Kalkwasser makeup water. I stay around 7-8 dkh carbonate hardness with this scheme, and around 450ppm Ca.

~Empty

Well....I ended up getting the seachem Reef buffer. I have to say that this stuff is great I just sat the bottle next to my aquarium, and it raised my PH. Well close, but not quite. I did however do a test again and the results left me with a

Ph of 8.0

Alk of 7 dKH

Calcium of 450 mg/l

So I added just ever so much of the buffer to my tank via a small water adding when I put my new gorgonians in the tank.

Archived