Top Shelf Aquatics

Newby I'm A Little Confused And Need Help With My Fowlr

wilson

Blinkgyrl2987

i just wanted to say that I find the teeny tiny blue leg hermits to be very useful.... If you provide them with many shells to chose from and there is food for them to graze on they are not as likely to try and kill your snails for their shells ...especially the teeny tiny hermits....they can't really mess with even a small snail...lol

However I do not care for the RED leg hermits... these guys are trouble...and they get much bigger...

If you are worried about your snails i would just keep the teeny blue legs....and maybe not keep as many and let your large variety of snails do the job.

Either way I like to trade in my hermies when they get bigger for two or three teeny tiny ones ( most fish stores don't mind this) so that way you never got a problem! Just my opinion though! But a tank without hermits isn't as great... these little guys have personality really! I love to watch mine!

Megan~~~~~~

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

would it be alright to maybe add a fridmani dottyback in with the two perculas and everything else. i dont really like the gobies except for the purle firefish or just the firefish r those ones ok.

Blinkgyrl2987

HEY wilson!:

most people are gonna tell you no about the anthias and the pygmy..they get a lil too big for a 20 gallon and should really be in at least a 30 ..(if I remember correctly)

The firefish would be good for your tank with the 2 perculas...and actually some of the purple firefishes are a lot prettier in life than in their pics..I have seen some really nice ones...but I have also seen some not so great ones...you just have to look

HTH ~MEgan~

n e one else have any good ideas fro anyother fish with my perculas, also how many small blue leg hermits should i have

and i heard that ishould have a mted pair of perculas is that true or, does that mean that they will have babies, if so i dont know if id want to if they will have babies so what are some other types, i was thinking of at least on precula (2 preferbaly unless they make babies) and either a firefish or purple firefish wat else??? thnx

i was just wondering i was going to use the water from the grocery store like bottled water to fill up my 20 g tank its either r/o or d/i. i just want to know if after for like top offs adn changing the water if it is ok to use the opposite type of water. say i use r/o is it alright to use d/i after. and would it be alright to use a brita filter for water changes and top offs. just wonderin if when u do water changes u add slat to the water u add right, u should follow the directions for the salt so should the water u add b at the right salinty 1.20 or watever. adn then whenu add it into the tank should b at the right salinity if it was b4 right.

TheCurriculum

lots of threads on water quality and what water to use

Don't use tap water. I tested my brita filter and still showed trace copper (old pipes). Some say they have used them with no problem. The machines at most grocery stores spit out great water.

You can go to a LFS and buy premixed saltwater for anywhere between .50 and 1.50 depending on where you live.

As far as premixed salts depends on who you ask on the board. Some love instant ocean some hate it etc...

I just buy from my LFS for .82 a gallon

salinty at most LFS is 1.02

Most set to the standard 1.024

Blinkgyrl2987

A mated pair does not mean that they will necessarily have babies! When you buy 2 clown fish you always buy them small..( an 1" or less in length) The reason for this is that they are born ( I think either as all males...or sexless)

.... then the babies start to pair off... when they pair off the more dominant clownfish becomes the female! and she will always be a tad bit bigger than the male!.... so a mated pair is a good thing! because the two little clownfish will always swim together and be at each others side ( the sweetest thing).

However in the beginning sometimes 2 young clowns will fight for the more powerful position as female... but then finally the smaller of the two will submiss to the female and take its place as a male...Does this make sense?...

never get groups of three or odd numbers they can't form pairs that way... and also if you have 4 clowns together only one will become a female and the other 3 will become males.. if the dominant female dies that the next dominant fish in line will change sex and become a female... pretty neat.

HTH Megan~~~~

Blinkgyrl2987

Wilson:

I use distilled water from the grocery store..it costs less than a dollar! Ro/di water is the best.... but if you don't have access to a RO/di unit ( which costs a lot) Distilled water will work just fine! You will need to buy lots of jugs to fill it..and then even more for water changes... and then even more for topping off the tank!

HTH ~`Megan

wat do u think i should get as fish i really want at least one clown but then i dont want to be limited to only one other fish if i were to get two clowns. i was just wodnering if n e one know n e thign about the Purple Pseudochromis it has a lot of coliour and looks osrt of interesting .

wat do u think i should get as fish i really want at least one clown but then i dont want to be limited to only one other fish if i were to get two clowns. i was just wodnering if n e one know n e thign about the Purple Pseudochromis it has a lot of coliour and looks osrt of interesting . or the Purple back Pseudochromis or a Royal Gramma

i was just wondering if my 2 false perculas would be ok in my tank with either a(i know i said these its just so people can see them all in the smae place):

Purple Pseudochromis

Purple back Pseudochromis

Royal Gramma

african flameback

flame hawkfish

heraldi angel

lemonpeel dwarf angel

or a flameback angel

i was just wondering when using dead sand do i mix it with the livesand together, and do i ahve to acclimate the sand and LR to the tank or can i just stick it in. i have alos heard i can have 4 fish. wodnerin if this is alright:

2 false percula clownfish

1 yellow clown goby

1 royal gramma

and does n e one have n e advice on setting up the LR i think its called aquascaping

Blinkgyrl2987

I think the fish you have picked out for your 20 gallon will be good... 2 clowns (percula 0r ocellaris)

1 royal gramma

1 firefish

This looks like a good list.

when aquascaping you want your rocks to be secure....whenever stacking them don't place them so they might far over.

You also want to avoid forming a huge "wall" of rocks which a lot of people do and does not look very natural.

Try to form some of the following with your live rock: holes, caves, caverns, coves, crevices, overhangs, ledges, small nooks and crannies, even separate islands aside from your aqauscape look great! but then you also want some good flat surfaces to place corals on....( now if you don't plan on corals don't worry about it) I just wanted to give you some good background knowledge on aquascaping.

Also some people like to glue there rocks together with silicone and other water proof things... I don't recommend this because if you ever wanted to change your rocks around...you wouldn't be able to. Just stack them so they are sturdy.HTH Megan~

TheCurriculum

I perfer digital a thermometer. Used digital for years and years on freshwater tanks. Nice because you drop a probe into the tank then get an exact reading. Plus you can set temp alarms for high and low, and they will record you temp swings.

Cost is between 15 and 60 bucks depending on how fancy you want to go. But a floater works just as good and cost less then a buck. For my pond out back I have a digital that I use. I use water temp to vary the amount of food the gold fishes get. Helps me prevent over feeding and algea spikes

Nothing wrong with a walmart or LFS stand as long as it will support your tank. If you know what the wallmart 55 and 125g stands look like and browse over to some pics at reefcentral you will notice those stands in use. a stand is a stand as far as most are consirend.

k i just called one more lfs and they sell saeclones for 119.99 os i think if iwere to get one id go with that one. those r hang on ones right or does n e one know ?

Archived