Cultivated Reef

SPS recommendations

AustinV

I currently have 5.3 watts per gallon of power compact lighting over my 12 gallon. I had spoke to the people at garf and they said I would be able to keep acropora's and montipora's under this light because they recommend at least 4.2 watts per gallon which I exceed. Can anyone recommend some good SPS that are fairly hardy that I can keep under this light. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.

Watts per gallon holds no weight in 'nano-land'. 64 watts, is 64 watts, whether the coral is 6" under it in a 5 gallon or a 500 gallon. With that, you probably have enough light for some hardy sps'(montipora's) in the top half of your tank.

from my research, you really need the intensity of either Metal Halides of T5s to be able successfully keep SPS (acros). As USFnano says, you could probably get away with a montipora placed towards the top of your tank.

I had 2x32w also on my 12g. I tried a Puple Montipora Digitata, Green Slimer, Green, and Purple Acros. They were all placed on the top of my tank. They looked good for a few months then gradually all lost their color and started turning brown. There just wasn't enough light for any of them. They are now under 175w MH and their color is finally coming back.

Archived