Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

green acro death

phishhead

I have a a green acro that i bought a few mos. ago and it is dying. I don't have a camera so i can't post a pic right now but, i think it's dying b/c the base of the coral is turning white and as of yesterday i noticed the green "skin" is actually peeling off the acro and exposing the really white skeleton. I still have sections that look good and i was wondering if fragging the remaining extention tips that still have the green on them would live or if the entire coral is dead. Thanks ya'll James :*(

I found a pic of it i took recently but not since it has REALLY started looking bad ... notice the piece had already been fragged b/f i bought it and the bottom looks kinda bad. I think it was healthy when i bought it though b/c it was regenerationg and covering the break where it had been fragged i was watching it grow and then one day the skin starts peeling. Sorry about the rambling.... James

3400acro1003-med.jpg

ok the skeleton that is supposed to be white is green. i suspect a type of boring algae.

how much flow do you have around that acro? sps need alot of flow.

can you give me soem tank specs? how long you've had the coral. i would frag it and put a super glue bandaid on it.

frag the coral above where it is dieing.

{exposed skeleton}{tissue} frag it where the i in tissues starts and put a band of superglue around the base where the first s is. lmk if your confused.

work quick though as rtn can kill a whole colony in a matter of hours.

Here's the set up/ i've already fragged the tops of the acro which still had the tissue but i noticed that the inside were white not green all the way through. I have a powerhead relatively close to it so i think it had good enough flow. I'll test my parameters tonight. I've had the acro for about 3 mos. I also just found flat worms in my tank and they seem to be spreading i guess they might have killed the acro. That hurts the ol' wallet! ya know. Oh well i guess i've learned. oops forgot the pic James3400acro1006-med.jpg

It's called RTN(Rapid Tissue Necrosis). There is a lot of information on it over on reefcentral, I suggest going over there and doing a search on it. I'm sure you'll find all the info on it you'll ever want ;):)

Jon

Archived