Top Shelf Aquatics

resetting Calc/Alk levels after waterchanges?

sayn3ver

I am still in the process of setting up my tank (AP24). I am still trying to figure some details out. This is one of them. This will be the first tank I will dose. planning on using kalk water for top off and possibly 2 part depending on load (I already have a tank/regulator/etc from my planted tank days so I could in theory do a calcium reactor but I think it's not worth it on such a small tank).

However, my question i normally do weekly 25% water changes. What is the procedure for this in terms of calcium and alk dosing? I mean, i tend to change mixes from bucket to bucket (slowly switch over of course) with the theory of using one brand all the time may lead to a certain profile of nasties building inherent in all mixes.

Right now I am using oceanic but have gone through a bucket of coralife and instant ocean. All have different calcium, alkalinity and magnesium profiles (not to mention all the other goodies).

Do most of you just continue with your normal daily dose after a water change or do you test and adjust and test again each week? All the testing initially is understandable to achieve the right parameters so you have a benchmark when establishing your regiment. However, it seems excessive if one needs to do this after every water change.

I think the correct answer is that you should be testing your calc/alk levels after a water change (as well as right before to see how levels deplete over the course of a week) if you're dosing 2-part. That said, I do weekly/bi-weekly 25% water changes and I don't test regularly. But I also don't change salt mixes regularly.

In a tank your size, water changes should take care of things. Unless you are seeing issues when testing the levels, do not waste time and money dosing.

Like others said your salt should take care of this. Unless you use Oceanic salt. Oceanic runs high in calcium low in alk. So I dose the alk part of a two part to keep everything in check.

True, water changes should take care of you. The only thing you might have to dose is alk. Of course this depends on your salt mix. I wouldn't dose until your tank gets more established and starts filling up with corals.

wow thanks for all the input.

I guess if I stuck to one salt, it would make my life easier? So far I have enjoyed using oceanic the best out of instant ocean and coralife. I want to try seachem's reef salt but don't have a local source. The closest store I know that carries it is a good 30min drive plus bridge toll ($4).

Locally is oceanic, IO, coralife, reef crystals.

I plan on having some montipora and possibly a clam after a nice long establishment period so I wanted to try and get a grasp of calc/alk supplementation. Right now I do not plan any other SPS but you know how that goes in this hobby. :lol:

Archived