Top Shelf Aquatics

Cheato stopped growing

lohitha

I have a 14 gallon biocube and I have Cheato in the middle chamber with a 3W cool white LED shining on the back. I had Cheato grow to fill the chamber twice before harvesting. Then it stared losing the green color and I removed all pale strands. Now it keeps shrinking. No change to lighting or the flow rate. I do not have hair algae. But, I do have a small patch of nuisance Gelidium growing in the main tank. Do you think Gelidium is sucking nutrients or something else wrong with my setup. BTW, my nitrate reading is always near zero. I have plenty of LR in the tank. Appreciate your feedback.

My tank inhabitants include 2 small clowns, 2 hermits, few snails and 12 species of softies. Bioload is relatively small. Other than receding Chaeto and couple of Gelidium patches, tank is doing great.

Those lights look tempting and your tank looks awesome!

My only concern is heat, if they reflect light wouldn't then reflect heat also? It may be too early but have you seen any changes in your constant temperature? These may be more efficient so I can see the other side where they may even run cooler.

my guess would be the lack of nutrients for the cheato to grow since the lights seem sufficient. thats probably a good things tho. means you dont have many excess nutrients

Archived