ReefCleaners.org

Something Hates my fish

Bunky Squid

Bunky Squid

if anyone still reads this forum, i have some sort of virus or parasite

to start... when I was cycling my tank 2 months ago, I had a domino damsel-- i wouldn't use fish to cycle in the future, didnt realize it was inhumane at the time. He eventually died- but before he did die his spine had developed a permanent kink in it, he breathed really fast, and he had little white warts on his fins and head.

does anyone know what this is? i did a bunch of water changes and the tank sat empty, only LR and LS for about 3 weeks before I risked any thing else. then i put in a cleaner shrimp and 2 turbo snails and a reef hermit. they did fine... well one of the turbos fell on his back and the hermit got him.

about 5 days ago i added two ~.5" green chromis. one died today, but he was showing the really rapid breathing and was mainly motionless in the tank for a day and a half prior.

Do I need to start over with all new water, or is it something I can cure in the tank. My hopes were to take everything from this 10 gallon tank and move it to a 25 gallon in the next week or two, but now Im wondering if I want to start a larger tank with possibly tainted water/rock/sand/ and inverts.

Bunky Squid

btw

my pH, nitrites, salinity, temp, ammon were all fine. Nitrates were possibly as high as 20ppm which I tried to fix with a water change. this was all yesterday

It's unlikely, but the first thing I'd check is the dissolved oxygen, as low levels will easily make fish breathe faster and become lethargic.

As for what killed the domino.... it's a tough one. I've never seen a fish get a kink in its spine (aside from ones born with defects, or deflated swim bladders). My guess would be viral, if the warty-looking spots appear solid (as opposed to whispy or cotton-like).

Fish can usually find off viruses themselves with the help of a good diet and high water quality. Supplement the food with a HUFA additive like Selco, and possibly garlic.

On the off chance that it is fungal, I'd say put a little malachite green in your tank, and go at least two water changes before adding corals.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
J21kickster

Dont be ignorant Dave- the white spots were probably Crypto- (Ich) and the kinked spine sound like a broken one. Sometimes happens through rough handeling, attack, or it ran into something.

Archived