inTank Media Baskets

Thinking of starting a frag tank.

cbachman

I originally posted this in the general discussion forums but I think it belongs here.

So im thinking of buying a new light for my 55 gallon reef tank. So i hoping someone knows about this product or can give me a review. Its on ebay and I cant find a brand so im worried. Heres the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/48-Metal-Halide-T5-HO-...=item2c57609d05

The reason I want to upgrade is because my current light is only 30 inches long for a 48 in long tank. What this means for me is that I now have a 30 inch light to put on my old currently not in use 20 gallon long tank. With this long shallow tank i was beginning to think that it would make an awesome frag tank. Its still largely in the planning process but I wanted to get some input first. My current reef tank is doing well but I dont have a ton of stuff in there so its not like i have alot to frag right now. So I would need to spend some money on getting more stock. I was thinking I could lead the overflow from the display to frag and then to refugium. The frag tank sits lower than display so I wouldnt even need any more pumps (maybe a bigger one later) or tanks or stands. Just some extra plumbing and good ol gravity. Im kinda curious from some other reefers with frag tanks as to if its actually profitable to have a frag tank or is more like my display where my only profit is my enjoyment. Or is it more like enough money just to sustain my habit (not drugs,just reefing)? Sorry not to sound greedy just curious. I live in Omaha NE and we only have 2 stores that sell anything even slightly good so if i get some nice corals growing I may have some very excited buyers. Theres always the internet too but I think Id wanna just sell local first. And as long as we are talking about selling how long would it take to get to that point. Im sure its not an overnight kinda thing. Sorry I think this alot of questions but what else should I be asking? What else should I be thinking planning for? Like I said im not trying to be greedy but instead plan for it like a business or something. It would require a big investment. And most importantly I do really like the idea of helping our hobby and even the reefs around the world. Sorry for the long novel. Just really curious. Thanks for any advice.

The last line totally contradicts the rest of the paragraph but> You can make some money with a frag tank but more importantly you can save money by trading frags. It also gives you a QT tank for injured coral. If you were to run a business type frag tank you would be in need of a large system. Growout times and WC in a 20 are going to eat most of the profit. If you want to do it for the hobby and conservation i say more power to ya. NE isn't that far from me so in the nicer months a 2nd day fedex would be ideal for a frag swap.

The last line totally contradicts the rest of the paragraph but

Lol Yea I may have put too much stress on the money side of things. Im not expecting to quit my day job or anything. Just trying to know what to expect. Even just being able to trade stuff instead of buying would be a huge help.. Ha ha this is probably all wishful thinking considering as of now I only have like 6 different corals in my main tank.

Aqueon 40g Long

Fish Need It Lights

ULV bulbs

build your own Sump out of a old tank

and wait for the next MACNA 2011 in Iowa? towards the end of MACNA, frag stores usually fire sale everything

Aqueon 40g Long

Fish Need It Lights

ULV bulbs

build your own Sump out of a old tank

and wait for the next MACNA 2011 in Iowa? towards the end of MACNA, frag stores usually fire sale everything

Couldnt I just share the sump of my 55? Yea I saw its going to be in Des Moines. What a wierd place to pick. Ive never been to any fish stores there.

Couldnt I just share the sump of my 55? Yea I saw its going to be in Des Moines. What a wierd place to pick. Ive never been to any fish stores there.

I dunno, dont you think a 55 gallon sump would be wierd for a 40g long?

I dunno, dont you think a 55 gallon sump would be wierd for a 40g long?

The 55 gallon is my display that already using a 20 gallon sump. The frag tank would share the same 20 gallon sump as the display

Yea unless you introduce something like flatworms into your display or frag tank, then the other tank gets it as well....

True as well. I would have to be super careful about anything I might add to any tank. Is it the perfect frag tank setup? probably not. But it might just be better than no set up at all

frag tanks are awesome keeps frag racks out of the display which are unsightly... as for the money side of the spectrum i do pretty good off my frag tank maybe a couple hundred a month from trimming and growing out.... it is also great for trading and having back ups i try and have a piece of everything growing in my display in my frag tank... that is why i keep my frag with a seperate sump that way if my 100 gal display does crash i have back ups... I wont lose that 100 dollar colony or less 100 dollar zoa you know what i mean.... none the less frag tanks are great imho

FishOnTheBrainCoral

I love my frag tank. As stated above its a nice back-up to to main tank should there be a crash, keeps frag racks out of display, and all trimmings go to it. I make a little money with it, but its more for something to experiment with. Like trying new additives, LED's, & xenia fuge, fragging methods etc.

I think the best part of it is the trade aspect more so then the $ side of it. like I'll give you six of these so-so colors of z's for that one bad ass one. Everyone is happy & didn't cost anyone anything (except maybe shipping). I will then "upgrade" my display with better stock.

Thats great info guys. A couple hundred a month sounds amazing. I see both your points too as far as having back ups go. I really like the idea of trading up too. Start with some so so stuff and keep trading up until you get some really awesome. So really even if you arent making money it can really help you save money. Well hopefully it will be happening. I think I decided on Evils PAR38 bulbs (four of them) for over my 55 gallon so the 30 inch MH can go over my empty 20 gallon. Just gotta save a little cash first.

Trading up works. Once you're params are rock solid, invest in a few colonies or mini-colonies of corals that are in high demand. From that point, your coral collection grows itself.

Archived