Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

GE Silcone I for kitchen/bath/plumbing safe?

dahliaheartsyou

dahliaheartsyou

I know that GE Silicone I for windows and doors is considered safe and widely used, but I got (and used) GE Silicone I for Kitchen/Bath/Plumbing...it doesn't say anything about having mold inhibitors and it doesn't say anything about a Bioseal either, whereas the GE II kitchen/bath/plumbing has a huge stamp on it about 5 year mold protection so I am thinking no mildewcides in GE 1?...so is it safe? or should I re-silicone <_<

Oh, the VOC is =36 g/L

here is what it looks like

http://www.caulkyourhome.com/ge-silicone-I...en-and-bath.php

dahliaheartsyou
I know there is a thread where some guy goes brand by brand, style by style and lists what is ok and what is not. I will see if I can find it....

already read the thread =]

but I am still wondering if the GE 1 for k/b/p is ok because it doesn't have anything about mildewcides unlike the GE II...

oh and it says GE612 if that helps...

As long as it doesn't say anything about mold/mildew inhibitors you should be good to go. GE Silicone I is the good stuff to use, regardless of what application it says on the bottle. Just read the entire bottle and make sure it says nothing about inhibitors and that it is 100% pure silicone.

dahliaheartsyou
As long as it doesn't say anything about mold/mildew inhibitors you should be good to go. GE Silicone I is the good stuff to use, regardless of what application it says on the bottle. Just read the entire bottle and make sure it says nothing about inhibitors and that it is 100% pure silicone.

yeah, that's what I am thinking...

Anyone use the GE I for k/b/p on their tank?

Not safe, it has mildew reducing chemicals if its for kitchen and bath. You want the one for doors and windows which does not have the extra chemicals in it.

dahliaheartsyou
Not safe, it has mildew reducing chemicals if its for kitchen and bath. You want the one for doors and windows which does not have the extra chemicals in it.

but how do I know it does? the bottle doesn't say anything about mildew reduction, like the GE II does...

to me it looks like GE I is the same silicone for both windows and doors as it is for k/b/p, under the specifications it says "Silicone I window and door is compliant for incidental food contact..." and nothing about Silicone I k/b/p so it makes it look like they are the same silicone with different labels

yes, you are going to have to remove the silicone. People advise you because they have experience with that silicone. Im not really sure why you keep questioning it.

yes, you are going to have to remove the silicone. People advise you because they have experience with that silicone. Im not really sure why you keep questioning it.

:lol:

dahliaheartsyou

ok, no need to be cranky...

1 person said yes and 2 said no so far...I have been researching all day and there are a lot of different opinions, some people say they use ge II silicone with no problems...

I understand many people know not to use the mildew resistant GE silicone, but to me it looks like there is 2 versions of GE k/b/p: one without mildew resistant chemicals (I) and one with them (II)

I just want to make sure before taking off the silicone since it's a p.i.t.a. (but I'm probably going to do it) and asking questions is what this forum is for.

fair enough. Just make sure you take a really sharp blade when taking that stuff off and it wont be that bad. In all reality, the stuff you have may be ok in the long run but why risk it when even 1 or 2 people advise against it.

dahliaheartsyou
fair enough. Just make sure you take a really sharp blade when taking that stuff off and it wont be that bad. In all reality, the stuff you have may be ok in the long run but why risk it when even 1 or 2 people advise against it.

right, I was most likely going to take it off in the beginning, I am for sure now, it's just such a pain...and I'm going to have to repaint the false wall/in tank sump thing :angry: well I guess I know what I will be doing till 3 in the morning :closedeyes:

HecticDialectics

word on the street used to be GE I safe, GE II no go. Exactly because GEII lists mildew reducing agents. They'd advertise it if they had it in the product.

dahliaheartsyou

but everyone says GE 1 for windows and doors and I got GE 1 for kitchen/bath/plumbing.... so I don't know if they're different?

I'd rather be safe then sorry....and I guess it doesn't matter since I already removed the silicone and am going to get GE 1 w/d and redo it, now I have to repaint and then wait another couple days for it to cure :(

but thanks for the replies :)

It sucks that you had to tear all the silicone off when i'm pretty sure i was correct from the beginning. I originally checked out GE Silicone I in all applications just in case. Like i said.. they have to specify what ingredients are in the silicone. If it says nothing about mildew/mold inhibitors, and it is 100% pure silicone, then you are good to go. The bottles never lie... honestly.

dahliaheartsyou
It sucks that you had to tear all the silicone off when i'm pretty sure i was correct from the beginning.

yes.....I know...... :angry::tears:

but at least I won't have any worry this way?

I dunno, that's my excuse to make myself feel better about having to tear, repaint, re-silicone, and wait longer <_<

and fwiw I think the w/d smells less potent then the k/b/p

Archived